Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5XS automatic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie here. I'm not too well versed in cars and seem to learn through trial and error, but mostly when things go wrong.

My vehicle: '03 Forester 2.5XS, 160k miles, automatic

Problem: There's a clicking from behind my glove box that starts when I turn the engine on and stops when I turn my engine off. I took off the glove compartment and checked my air filter...it definitely needs replacement...and I knocked off some loose things on the filter and put it back in (I will go out later for the replacement filter). When I started that engine again, the clicking noise was still there. I couldn't pinpoint the exact location, but felt near the air filter and found that the sound is coming from a small black box, attached to the filter but two difficult to access screws). I found out by doing a general online search that it's an actuator, but I have no idea what it's for. It also looks like I have to remove at least one or more things to remove the actuator.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what this actuator controls? If/when I remove things to get to the actuator, I don't really know what I will remove. Also, does anyone have any advice on how to remove the white electrical connector? Do I just yank the white connector hard?

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
That sounds like the temperature blend door motor. Can you control the temp of your A/C?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I can control the heat, but haven't tried the A/C in a while since I haven't needed to use it for the past few months. I will see if that is an issue.

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
Can you switch between all of your vents? It could be a mode door. I'm not sure if yours are vacuum operated or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE

I have gotten the part half off. The screw near the engine side is very difficult to remove...I think I loosened it. I can see that a plastic part is broken and my be stuck inside. The part looks like it controls a flap above the blower motor. I hope to get it off soon and will bring it to Advance Auto Parts, but I'm having trouble even finding something online that can give me more information.

Part: Zexel 502752-3350 28512 12V
Picture: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...69-heat-regulator-picture9033-img-0341-2.html

I searched Zexel's website and found nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I keep stripping the screw and it will be that much harder to screw it in if/when I replace it. I'm leaving the motor unplugged. I can still get heat and AC, but cannot control it was well.

I was thinking about removing the blower motor. Does anyone know how to do that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts