Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Premium Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

Me and my lady are going to buy a 2012 Forester that has 18K Miles on it with only one owner. From the owner.
Today when we were test driving it we stopped to take a look under the hood. I decided to check the transmission fluid and their was no color to it. It was more a clear color, i didn't know what to think just because I'm so used to the red/pink color and i have never heard of clear.

Is the clear color normal? is it the factory fluid subaru put in it? Im going to call the dealer when monday rolls around but for right now I'm hoping you guys could help me out

Anything helps thanks guys,

Greg

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Are you sure you checked the trans fluid and not the diff fluid? If the Forester was an automatic, the trans dipstick is on the driver side. The one on the passenger side is for the front differential.

·
Registered
2012 Premium Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya I'm pretty sure i checked it on the driver side behind the engine it said "ATF" on it

·
Registered
2012 Premium Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing i can think of is that subaru puts no dye in order to tell if the tranny has been messed with?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
Did you ask if it has been changed?

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
... Is the clear color normal? is it the factory fluid subaru put in it? Im going to call the dealer when monday rolls around but for right now I'm hoping you guys could help me out
Greg:

No, not normal. ATF is deliberately colored red (sometimes green, although it's rare) to distinguish it from motor oil.

Query the owner. Maybe the fluid was changed at a shop on a Friday.

·
Registered
2012 Premium Auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called my local Transmission store and they said clear fluid is heard of before that it is usually a OEM fluid that may come from the factory. I then called my local dealer and they said that the clear is normal for my year that my transmission takes that special fluid and that the transmission is belt driven? to where if I ever needed ATF fluid to go to them to get the right kind? he said I should never have to mess with it.

In Conclusion he said its all good.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Lim. Automatic
130 Posts
Your car doesn't have a belt driven transmission. Whoever you talked to does not know what they are talking about.

And it does need "messed with" (aka changed).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
I I then called my local dealer and they said that the clear is normal for my year that my transmission takes that special fluid and that the transmission is belt driven?
Your year requires Subaru HP-ATF. I doubt that the dealer's information is correct. That tranny is the the one that has been in the Subaru for many years. Its not belt driven.

I am not saying this should be a deal breaker, but it is odd. Are you sure you are lookinbg at a Forester and not an Outback. The Outback (I think) has a CVT auto trans which may have a clear fluid.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
I called my local Transmission store and they said clear fluid is heard of before that it is usually a OEM fluid that may come from the factory. I then called my local dealer and they said that the clear is normal for my year that my transmission takes that special fluid and that the transmission is belt driven? to where if I ever needed ATF fluid to go to them to get the right kind? he said I should never have to mess with it.

Umm... The MY12 Forester doesn't have a belt-driven CVT like the new models, or the MY12 Legacy offered.
If the dealer put CVT fluid in a 4EAT they need their heads checked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts