Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester Limited Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a first gen 2001 Forester Limited from Australia.
In the rear bumper there are two blanking covers or cut-outs for the red fog lights.

See this photo (not my car):

** Has anyone mounted some clear lamp housings in that place to use as reversing lights? which lights did you use?

I did a good search and I was surprised I couldn't find any previous discussion.
Right now I'm looking over the Hella catalogue, but I'm sure someone on the internet must have found a light that fits nicely.

For reference, this is what the factory red fog light looks like:

With the cover removed, the holes in the rear bumper are 125mm wide and 75mm high, but the recess in the bumper tapers in a bit.
The recess is 70mm deep on the number plate side, and 65mm deep on the outer side.

Here is a photo from Peaty which shows what the switches for the front and rear fog lights look like:

from this thread:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/rear-fog-light-switch-1733/

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Why do you have red fog lights in the rear? That's a new one on me.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Limited Automatic
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Majorik: In Europe they need to have a red-colored rear fog light located low down on the bumper, which you turn on in bad weather so other cars don't rear-end you. In Australia this extra red marker light is incorporated into the rear tail light assembly.

Like this:

I want to put a pair of clear reversing lights in those cut-outs :)

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Interesting. That's my new fact for the day. :bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
511 Posts
Majorik: In Europe they need to have a red-colored rear fog light located low down on the bumper, which you turn on in bad weather so other cars don't rear-end you. In Australia this extra red marker light is incorporated into the rear tail light assembly.

Like this:

I want to put a pair of clear reversing lights in those cut-outs :)
Most Mercedes, Volvos and Saabs have them

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
932 Posts
I was thinking about doing this. I already have a fog light, but dont like that its not symmetrical.

I saw a video where a guy made some plastic headlight lenses for a 200sx, where they were already glass. He filled the glass lense with cement/plaster to make a mould, then heatformed some plastic/plexigalss ove the mold to make a replica of it.

If you are really stuck you could give that a go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts