Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried two different Duplicolor clear coats in a spray can. They are always dull and hazy. What's the secret/technique. I've tried thin coats, thick coats, buffing... Anyone mastered this? It's driving me nuts! :icon_mad:

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
I dont have much experience w/ spray painting. I am FAR from a body guy. But I painted a rear spoiler for my FXT. I think it turned out great.

This was just rattle canned. But maybe because its white, I can't really tell if the clear is cloudy. The only flaw that I have is I put on one of the coats of clear alittle too heavy and once it dried, there were cracks in it. I wet sanded most of it out.
I will check to see which clear I used.
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might try wet sanding tonight. The last coat I put on was a thicker one, as I am hoping that I can wet-sand it smooth, then polish with a rubbing compound and see where that gets me. Strange thing is, a lot of the time I get patches of glossiness surrounded by the dull stuff. Can't seem to get it consistent throughout. :icon_confused:

·
Registered
05 FXT Broken 5-speed
240 Posts
I also used 2000 grit. I have been meaning to borrow an electric buffer, and see if I can finally call it done.
What did you paint? Pics?
Absubtle
CO

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also used 2000 grit. I have been meaning to borrow an electric buffer, and see if I can finally call it done.
What did you paint? Pics?
Absubtle
CO
I was painting the rear quarter panel "garnish". Item #10 in this illustration. The clear was getting sun damaged towards the top. When I looked at it in the sun this morning, I could see there were some imperfections and the actual paint underneath the clear is worn away. So sometime in the future I will pull both of these off and fully repaint and clear. This time with more clear since there's barely any left after wet sanding.

I dont have much experience w/ spray painting. I am FAR from a body guy. But I painted a rear spoiler for my FXT. I think it turned out great.
I, myself, am far from a "body guy", but getting better :icon_biggrin:

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
787 Posts
Are you maybe spraying/holding the can too far away? If you are, the paint can actually dry a little as it is laid on causing the dullness that you are experiencing. Also, if it is too warm were you are painting, the same effect can happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts