Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had mine for 4 months now and have noticed no matter how hard I try to clean the windows there are still streaks. Today I blasted the windshield numerous times and its like there is a film on there that refuses to come off. I also checked some other windows and they all seems to have the same problem but not as noticeable.

Is Windex and paper towels the right thing to use? I also tried some glass cleaner in an aerosol can but nothing seems to get them perfectly clean. It seems like its a film because as you wipe the window its clean and then the film reappears as it dries.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
Hello Steve,

I agree with the gents above. News paper and just about any window cleaning agent seems to do the job nicely. Besides newspaper, microfiber towels also work extremely well.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,460 Posts

Doesn't look like you appear to have aftermarket tint

but, if you did, windex and other ammonia based window cleaners will attack the mylar film.. fyi

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
The Best glass cleaner I have found to date was by accident. Quite a few years ago, my wife gave me a Car Care bucket full of Armor All Products. After 3 moves, the basic Armorall was used or discarded. (replaced by Aero303).
Earlier last year, while cleaning out the garage, I came across the glass cleaner and figured 'yeah the cars windows need cleaning'.
That was it for me, it's simply called Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner. It works great, inside and out (I use it before I apply RainX). Cleaned all the dirty film that used to be inside and has never left streaks. I've since used that up and replaced it. Only place I could find it was AutoZone.

P.S. I know some people swear AT RainX, but I've used it since 1988 and swear by it.

End of my $.02

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,365 Posts
ferret said:
P.S. I know some people swear AT RainX, but I've used it since 1988 and swear by it.
A lot of folks tried RainX and ended up with crazy streaks, wondering what the heck just happened. What they should have done is applied as directed and mist a little water to let the agent 'set'. Voila! Everything should come out nice and neat, without crazy streaks and repells water like a duck in the pond.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
There is a reason we are all here !!! Kind of like "Close Encounters"...We were 'invited', everyone else is just visiting . (LOL)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,460 Posts
Anyone have any fixes for small scratches in the glass?

I've got a few small ones in my windshield from ice scraping this winter..

I wonder.. maybe Sonus glass polish?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Steve said:
I've had mine for 4 months now and have noticed no matter how hard I try to clean the windows there are still streaks. Today I blasted the windshield numerous times and its like there is a film on there that refuses to come off. I also checked some other windows and they all seems to have the same problem but not as noticeable.

Is Windex and paper towels the right thing to use? I also tried some glass cleaner in an aerosol can but nothing seems to get them perfectly clean. It seems like its a film because as you wipe the window its clean and then the film reappears as it dries.

Any ideas?
I think its the all over wax they apply at the factory or dealership,
It will wear off over time.

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,760 Posts
Stoner glass cleaner works great

# Cleans windshields, windows, and mirrors so well, you'll think they're invisible
# Amazing no-residue formula doesn't streak or haze
# Quickly removes dust, dirt, bugs, sap, oil, grease, fingerprints, and more from glass
# Safe for tinted windows
I live by it (I get it at costco 4 for $9)

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,096 Posts
I like the Stoner glass cleaner too,good stuff :) Yes the inside gets foggy with a film from the solvents coming out of the plastic in the dash, the hotter it is out and the newer the car the worse it is.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Anyone have any fixes for small scratches in the glass?

I've got a few small ones in my windshield from ice scraping this winter..

I wonder.. maybe Sonus glass polish?
You could try toothpaste as it gets small scratches off the face of my watch or ask a windscreen shop if they can buff/polish them out for you depending on price of course. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,460 Posts
Just thought I felt like reviving this thread today..

Bought myself a bottle of Simple Green window cleaner for 3.99~ at target

I've used Armor all, rain-x and similar products..

But I really find the Simple green to get the job done, and its not all that
expensive considering a little bit does alot.. no streaks, clean the dash,
back of the front seats, plastic trim inside, etc. It does it all..

Wasn't so sure about the scent, first I thought it smelt like dirty socks but
after awhile It didn't bother me

So the Simple Green window cleaner gets an A+ from me

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
Peaty said:
I like the Stoner glass cleaner too,good stuff :) Yes the inside gets foggy with a film from the solvents coming out of the plastic in the dash, the hotter it is out and the newer the car the worse it is.

Never ever - ever -ever use
Armorall on the dash it makes the interior blue haze 10 times worse. I just wipe over thinterior of my XS with a damp chamios and nothing else, maybe a little squirt of Windex occasionally for grease marks on the door windows.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts