Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Lexus RX 350 8 speed auto
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so do you take the car back to the dealer to get the lens cleaned?????? :crying: Just stands to reason, the the lens will get dirty after a year or two...... so how do you clean them? Compressed air?

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester Touring CVT
91 Posts
I found nothing in the manual about cleaning the protective glass in front of the Eyesight cameras, just a warning to never touch. The shop manual is no better. It says to replace the camera cover if the glass is touched and while replacing the cover, if the camera lenses are touched - replace the camera assembly, too!! That's like telling someone to replace their Nikon camera if they touch the lens. Crazy.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,492 Posts
I found nothing in the manual about cleaning the protective glass in front of the Eyesight cameras, just a warning to never touch. The shop manual is no better. It says to replace the camera cover if the glass is touched and while replacing the cover, if the camera lenses are touched - replace the camera assembly, too!! That's like telling someone to replace their Nikon camera if they touch the lens. Crazy.
I can't see what you are complaining about... It's only a $2000 repair to replace the camera. (Note sarcasm)
That isn't actually crazy, it's a great way to never have to diagnose a camera problem because they don't seem to be able to.
(See thread on dealer wanted to replace camera because of a tiny spider)
Having to replace a camera when it is merely touched is actually great for the dealer -What a money maker!!!!
And I should get Eyesight because.... Nope.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
935 Posts
Just stands to reason, the the lens will get dirty after a year or two...... so how do you clean them?
I haven't cleaned the lenses of mine and the system still works at nearly 6 years. I use canned compressed air and a lens cleaning brush (available from camera stores) to blow off any dust a couple of times a year and cover the lenses with aluminium/aluminum foil when using window cleaner and dash protector sprays. The main danger is contaminating the glass with skin oil which can eat through the anti flare and other coatings so wear latex gloves if working around the lenses.

·
Registered
2019 Forester - Touring CVT
137 Posts
I haven't cleaned the lenses of mine and the system still works at nearly 6 years. I use canned compressed air and a lens cleaning brush (available from camera stores) to blow off any dust a couple of times a year and cover the lenses with aluminium/aluminum foil when using window cleaner and dash protector sprays. The main danger is contaminating the glass with skin oil which can eat through the anti flare and other coatings so wear latex gloves if working around the lenses.
Thanks, slothman - I have been wondering what I actually can do as there seems to be no shortage of alarming warnings about what not to do...that sounds sensible.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
Sounds like you DID actually find something in the manual... They say don't clean the camera lenses.

I agree it's not the answer we wanted or hoped for, but they did tell you specifically what NOT to do, so can't complain. (Except that these should be serviceable, but I understand why they're not: Liability if someone dies when a car crashes)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Look, when a friend of mine got his Levorg, the dealer said him explicitly: "Don't even think to put your hands on the lens, nor to clear them, else you have to pay _a lot_ to install new ones"

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
627 Posts
I was cleaning my windshield the other day. And noticed how far back the actual Eyesight camera lenses are in the housing. If anything I'd go with the suggestion of a little duster air. Otherwise the Eyesight will let you know if it's view is obstructed with warnings and lights, etc.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
8 Posts
Research into how to clean a camera sensor. I don't think it gets trickier that that. You'll probably need Eclipse Optic Cleaning fluid and a sensor swab. There will be no streaks, where as a lens pen would.

·
Registered
2019 forester base
178 Posts
I can't see what you are complaining about... It's only a $2000 repair to replace the camera. (Note sarcasm)
That isn't actually crazy, it's a great way to never have to diagnose a camera problem because they don't seem to be able to.
(See thread on dealer wanted to replace camera because of a tiny spider)
Having to replace a camera when it is merely touched is actually great for the dealer -What a money maker!!!!
And I should get Eyesight because.... Nope.
just buy a subaru extended plan...and they will have to pay, not you!!

·
Registered
2016 Forester
11 Posts
I was having trouble with EyeSight shutting down more frequently and sometimes when I was not even heading directly into the sun. I took a look at the cameras with a mirror and discovered a small spider web in front of one of the lens covers. I gently blasted it with compressed air which collapsed the web but didn’t completely remove it. I managed to carefully remove the remaining strand with a pair of tweezers. Problem solved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can anyone explain why Subaru says you should never clean the Eyesight camera lenses? I cannot understand this. I work in video production and our lenses are $500k up to $1.2 mil and we clean them using special cleaning kits. I don't see why I couldn't use a kit like this?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
@SubieCyclist

I guess the question is, would you trust the average consumer off the street to clean one of your $500k+ lenses? .....let alone use the appropriate tools / products to do it.

Subaru probably feels its not worth the risk to even suggest it given how easily it could be for people to damage theirs.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,776 Posts
Here's a question - are the lenses sealed...? I mean is there like a clear plastic cover over the tunnel that the camera is mounted in?

As for the question about why not clean a lens when others costing so much more need to be cleaned ... I look at my own camera... Sure, I can clean it with a special kit. But if I put one of those lens covers (like for UV glare, whatever) I don't have to clean the lens because it is sealed - in front by the cover and in the back by the body of the camera.

So it may well be that the Subaru Eyesight lens is sealed (front and rear) and requires no cleaning - unless of you're pulling your eyesight system apart and potentially damaging the system anyway...

Look at your cell phone - with the lens systems they have now, you can get better pictures that you can get (minus some adjustments) from expensive DSLR or SLR cameras with more DPI and you never have to clean that camera either, other than a wipe on the clear cover over the camera lens.

I'd guess that the Eyesight cameras have a lot more in common with the lowly camera of your average cell phone than in common with the expensive lenses on my Canon or on subiecyclist's video production systems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a question - are the lenses sealed...? I mean is there like a clear plastic cover over the tunnel that the camera is mounted in?

As for the question about why not clean a lens when others costing so much more need to be cleaned ... I look at my own camera... Sure, I can clean it with a special kit. But if I put one of those lens covers (like for UV glare, whatever) I don't have to clean the lens because it is sealed - in front by the cover and in the back by the body of the camera.

So it may well be that the Subaru Eyesight lens is sealed (front and rear) and requires no cleaning - unless of you're pulling your eyesight system apart and potentially damaging the system anyway...

Look at your cell phone - with the lens systems they have now, you can get better pictures that you can get (minus some adjustments) from expensive DSLR or SLR cameras with more DPI and you never have to clean that camera either, other than a wipe on the clear cover over the camera lens.

I'd guess that the Eyesight cameras have a lot more in common with the lowly camera of your average cell phone than in common with the expensive lenses on my Canon or on subiecyclist's video production systems.
All good points. I'm thinking ahead a few years in terms of cleaning the Eyesight lenses. I'd just imagine they would get some type of film on them and would benefit from a cleaning. I just can't comprehend why Subaru wouldn't allow even the dealership to clean them carefully. I may try it in a year or two using one of our kits.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
All good points. I'm thinking ahead a few years in terms of cleaning the Eyesight lenses. I'd just imagine they would get some type of film on them and would benefit from a cleaning. I just can't comprehend why Subaru wouldn't allow even the dealership to clean them carefully. I may try it in a year or two using one of our kits.
That thought crossed my mind as well. .....more specifically in regard to the off gassing of the plastics, etc. that occurs especially for the first couple years in new cars.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,299 Posts
Six years, never cleaned, works perfectly.

I expect that the little bit of ordinary dust that might get in there will simply not disturb the functionality. It doesn’t need to produce a perfect image. It just needs to see objects and lines that match a certain algorithm. Everything else is ignored.

It will let you know if it’s having trouble seeing. Most likely issues are the adjacent windshield glass (inside and especially outside), and — no joke — spiders.

If it’s working, stay away from it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2020 is almost a year old. The inside windows were terrible from the newness of the plastics decomposing. I assume that the camera lenses are being contaminated the same way, and the deterioration will continue for years. (I guess I keep my windows closed all the time, and I should open them all when in the garage.) So the answer is still: "NEVER CLEAN THE LENSES" ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts