Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Today i wanted to clean my boost selenoid! After i managed to get it out ;) i connected the green test connectors, filled the selenoid with brake cleaner and connected the power plug of the selenoid... now the juice should squirt out due to the unit pulsing...

BUT NOTHING HAPPEND!? Does that mean the unit is damaged or what? I don´t have the tools to check if the connector of the selenoid is supplied with power, is there another method tho check out if it works correct?

greetings yallah

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Should just be able to connect 12V across the terminals to trigger the solenoid, I'd have thought. Essentially it's just a solenoid that opens and closes a valve.

I wouldn't expect the brake fluid it squirt out as the solenoid won't put it under pressure, hearing it clicking when the voltage is applied would be what I'd look for to test it's working.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you mean when i connect the plug, it should make a "click" right? Does the clicking continue? Click - Click - Click? Just like the fans and other stuff in the engine bay does when i connect the green test thingies?

Sorry for stupid question, but i´ve never done this before ;)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
If you have a multimeter, you can test the voltage across the connector. If it's not showing a voltage, then it's not being tested.

I'm not sure if it pulses in test mode or not... if you attach some pipe to the input of the solenoid, you should be able to blow through it when it's open.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the weathergod is not with me... (again raining outside) i´ll test it as soon as the weather changes!

Thanks for your tips!

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
It's only a solenoid. If you apply dc voltage it will move to its full extent and when you remove the voltage it will return to its resting position, usually under spring pressure. The only pulsing that occurs is when the ECU electronics PWM's the solenoid coil to control boost.

So, apply your voltage source on-off-on-off quickly and you should hear the solenoid respond likewise...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wohoo sunny outside today! I´ll check it again this afternoon... thanks for your help guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts