Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 06 FXT & 05 OutB XT 6 Speed/DCCDPro / Auto
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just picked up a STI tmic and its a bit dirty i was wondering what I could use to clean it up. Any idea..??

Thanks for the help...

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Will it remove oil buildup inside of the intercooler? Mine's off the car now and pretty oily inside.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,835 Posts
For the inside, you'd want to use a solvent degreaser to remove the oil & then blow some air thru it to dry off the remaining solvent that doesn't pour out. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
Pardon the n00bness of the question, but what would a recommendation be for a cleaner?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pardon the n00bness of the question, but what would a recommendation be for a cleaner?
Some people use a Simple Green and water solution, rinse, then dry it out with a bit of compressed air.
Obviously, as long as it's not still full of the solution, it'll be fine going back on your car a little wet.

I'm sure there are many different IC cleaning concoctions.
w w w.simplegreen.c o m/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search_query_backup=danger]Frequently]Frequently Asked Questions

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I've always had good results with simple green and a nylon brush. It doesn't bend fins and comes out looking like new.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Hmm...will have to give it a shot...have you used it yourself?
Yep, works extremely well and the stuff is safe plastics as well so if you get a little over spray it will not melt it. You don't even have to scrub just rinse off with water and respray if needed. It has always worked first shot and I have never had to reapply. Simple green works well it just doesn't lift the grease and contaminants away without a brush or cloth.

·
Registered
2006 06 FXT & 05 OutB XT 6 Speed/DCCDPro / Auto
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. Headed to homedepot right now to get both and give them a try. Will take pics if I can find the camera.

·
Registered
2011 CT200h/E90 M3
658 Posts
To clean, I'd use some engine degreaser then rinse. If it's not too dirty, Simple Green and a water mix works well. That's what I usually use when I clean my engine bay.

But I know a lot of the WRX guys use gasoline to clean out all that junk. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear it works wonders.

And safety pin or a pair tweezers will be useful in straightening out any bent fins.

Here's a picture of mine before I installed it, somewhat clean and 95% straight fins. I definitely could have sanded it down and polished it, but I was lazy.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cap off the outlets and fill it with a simple green solution to clean the inside. Shaking it works most of the oil residue out.

That A/C cleaner looks like a great idea for the external surfaces and fins. Someone locally mentioned using muriatic acid for cleaning a BPV, and I feel it would work well for the exterior of an IC as well (maybe, haven't tried it though!)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT SH Manual
97 Posts
On the subject of bent fins; what is the best way of repairing bent inter-cooler fins? Some of mine are quite bent from possibly large bugs and stones entering the scoop at high speeds. I believe there is a sort of "comb" one could use, but have never seen one...

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Toothpick works well for bent fins.

Does anyone know where to get a STI stencil for the tmic? I would like to repaint, and dont want to try and mock up a stencil.

·
Registered
6 subies in, current '02 jdm XT SG Forester
290 Posts
tmic is coming off tomorrow, will post pics of what some f***head did to it. have electrical contact cleaner, crc, a few screw drivers and tweezers to straighten fins. over 90% bent, and being an apprentice, no $$$ to replace!!!

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I've heard using radiator paint on these things works great, anyone here use it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts