Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand do you use and why?

What type do you use? Old fashioned bar? Towel? Mitt? Why?

What's your preferred lubricant?

I've used and still have the Megiar's kit from the auto parts store. Its time to clay ye olde XT however, and I just became aware that towels and mitts are a thing. Are they any good?

Any experience with The Rag Company Ultra Clay Towel? What else should I be looking at?

I already have preferred chemicals for everything else and am aware of ceramic coatings. I don't need advice on how to use clay. I'm asking about your preferred brand, type and lubricant. Thanks.

PFA

PFA
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille

· Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6-speed
183 Posts
For heavily-soiled cars that have never been done, I like traditional clay. More "give" to the bar, and more places for the contamination to go. The Mother's Gold Bars are hard to beat for the money, and work very well.

For maintaining, I like the nanoskin pads, especially for glass. They're more forgiving for light removal, and don't have to get tossed if they hit the dirt accidentally.

For lube, Optimum No Rinse mixed to a quick detailer ratio, maybe a touch stronger. Cheapest way to get any quick detailer in my opinion.

Best of luck.

· Registered
2017 2.5i Premium 6SP
56 Posts
I'm with CGumina, traditional clay for cars that haven't been done in a while. Especially on your white paint, you'll see all those micro specs of trash. Might need a iron decontaminator as well.

As for which brand, Clay Magic Polymer (white / least aggressive) or their traditional blue (slightly more aggressive). Meguiar's Last Touch for a lubricant.

· Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright fellas. Thanks a bunch.

I got a $250 Amazon gift card from work and just ordered the Clay Magic, Nanoskin, lube and sundries.

Also picked up a Prince of Wales chamois. I've been wanting one for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts