Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this 2004 Forester XT 4eat to replace my 06WRX as a daily driver. Ever since buying it.. all I see is a blank slate. I'm really looking forward to making this car my own.

First thing I'm looking to do is replace the stock uppipe. While I'm doing that hoses, timing belt, water pump, and all fluids will be changed. Rear sway bar and endlinks will be put on shortly as well as some tint. Once the winter passes I'll be looking for swift springs, sti or rotta gravel wheels, and an exhaust system. Eventually I'd like to go for an sti swap.... eventually hahah.

Here's to many more entries :Banane35:

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
Congratulations and welcome from Canada. Look forward to updates good luck

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Invidia up pipe was installed this weekend. It took a lot longer than expected, but worth the piece of mind of not having a piece of cat flying through my turbo. Switched out some tired looking IC hoses with Mishimoto silicone hoses and put on yellow tint on my fogs.

Also a whiteline rear sway bar and some rallitek endlinks just came in the mail today thanks to a member on this forum. I'll be looking to install them within the next week... and I just emailed Leeburbs for some tints.

Might be looking to wait till after the winter to throw some springs and new wheels on. Who knows though...

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fit is great, I had absolutely no issues with the it. The pipe also came with a EGT bung so I did not need to worry about a workaround for any CEL.

The only problem was actually getting to the stock pipe itself. Heat shield on heat shield on heat shield down there. I ended up torching the uppipe heat shield off, lifting the engine, removing the downpipe, and removing part of the manifold to get to the thing. If you are looking to do an exhaust system, maybe think about doing all of this at once.

I don't really notice a quicker spool in the turbo, but the mod was for piece of mind. Around 3 hours of work for 5hp woo!

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
The mod bug is starting to take hold!! :lol:
Nice ride man.
Invidia makes decent stuff. I like em.
Lemme know who that sway bar works out. I been thinking about upgrading mine.

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do. I am looking to do the front grill mod, but am having trouble finding some good mesh material. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

·
Registered
2003 2.5xs Auto
405 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link! What size did you opt for? Your grill looks awesome and the size I was looking for as well.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
The fit is great, I had absolutely no issues with the it. The pipe also came with a EGT bung so I did not need to worry about a workaround for any CEL.

The only problem was actually getting to the stock pipe itself. Heat shield on heat shield on heat shield down there. I ended up torching the uppipe heat shield off, lifting the engine, removing the downpipe, and removing part of the manifold to get to the thing. If you are looking to do an exhaust system, maybe think about doing all of this at once.

I don't really notice a quicker spool in the turbo, but the mod was for piece of mind. Around 3 hours of work for 5hp woo!
I talked to a local Subaru mechanic here locally, and he said that the EGT sensor can break apart and get sucked through the turbo. One speared itself through a turbo impeller blade according to him. Slapping a resistor in isn't that hard. And can save you a headache down the road.

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking at the sensor, there are no signs of it breaking apart. Also the bung is located outside of the tube. Meaning the sensor does not protrude into the pipe, but rather sits on top of the pipe. That and the bung has a smaller metal hole at the base kind of like this

0==0o=o| Pipe |

^bung

I feel the sensor is shielded enough. However.... I did get a CEL recently, small evap leak. Time to check that out.

·
Registered
04 FXT 4EAT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had an issue with a CEL for small evap leak. I figured I would check the fuel filler neck for rust because I have read elsewhere that this is a common issue with these cars from up north.... and yup, rusted to hell. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm which is the correct part # 42066-SA090 or 42066SA020.

Shout out to FOZd3mo55 for the info on the mesh grill mod. I got the material cheap and now am just waiting till it warms back up to try out the mod.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts