Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my cars not really bare bones stock any more, so here are some pics. Whacha think? :D

Gotta lil carputer in there now, touch screen, DVD, GPS, MP3s, still needs some odds and ends, but I'm really liking it so far. 8)
As for my suspention, WRX wagon springs, STi RSB and Poltec Box endlinks. I got rid of the Geos too after a long 18k mile life. :roll: Funny (but long :oops:) story there, after doing that work on the suspention, I took it to get aligned, before even trying to adjust anything, they told me that they would not be able to get it aligned unless I bought and had them insall a camber kit, I agreed not knowing if I really needed it or not, THEN about a week later, crusing down I-25 at about 65 mph, at the start of morning rush hour, the car starts feeling VERY odd and I was seeing all this smoke comming out the back of my car, I pull over, and the top of my drivers side rear wheel is pushed in. Now understand that I know nothing really about how exactly they align a car, or what a camber kit does, or where it goes, but after diving under the car and spotting the top camber bolt missing from the strut. I started kicking myself thinking this was my fault, then I have my wife pick me up and she starts kicking me too. :( I told her that I wasn't sure it was my fault, but I had no real idea. Anyway I head over to the dealership for a new nut and bolt, get the car running again on the spare because the original tire fell into the strut, which shaved quite a bit of rubber off the inside sidewall of the old tire. It never lost pressure but obviously not usable. So I placed an on line order for BFGoodrich Traction T/A H from the tire shop, which I had decided on a while back, and the next day the tire store says it will be a week or two before they will have them, and offered the Triple Treads that were $12 / tire more expensive, but said he would split the cost with me. Well I looked em up on tirerack, very high reviews, the tire shop tells me they are consumer reports recomended yada yada yada, so I go for it. I ask the guy to let me know when they have the tires off because I wanted to recheck the touque on all the bolts... This is when I find out by looking at the same place on the other side of the car that the bolt that was missing was that "camber kit" they upsold me on. Nice. At least now I know it wasnt my fault, but my wife still says that if I didn't do the mods in the first place that none of this would have ever happend. So I'm like "shut up" :oops: :p So I had that place realign the car, and made them take my Geo spare and give me a triple tread in it's place to match the other tires. I know I could be a major pain in their asses for all they put me through, but I guess I was just in a good mood from the tire upgrade.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
So that is concealed in your flip up compartment...that is SWEET! Good job. 8)

I also like this part:

""I know it wasnt my fault, but my wife still says that if I didn't do the mods in the first place that none of this would have ever happend. So I'm like "shut up" :oops:""

·
Registered
46 Posts
floyd fan, nice!! :wink:

<-- I don't like that number, can't we begin counting where the old site left off :)

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I'll try to get some day pics up soon, maybe today. That little compartment gets narrower the further back you go, so I cut out what was in the way, and while it's not perfet, you really don't notice it too much at all. You will see in the pics. I did have to take apart the screen to make it hinge the way it does, which required me to cut out where the screws hold the screen together on the bottom. Because of that I had to super-glue the bottom of the screen back together. Not ideal but it works well. The GPS reciever also tucks in under the screen when I close it all up. The idea was that the interior would look stock when all was put away so I don't have to worry as much about an aftermarket alarm.

The guage is just a cheapo VDO, works great, close but not perfect match. I had Greddy guages in my WRX and they matched just a little bit better, but they were much more costly. If you could find a colored bulb condom with just a bit less blue, it would match a little better, but being where it's located in my car, it's far enough away from the others that it dosen't bother me at all.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
How do you run the audio from the carputer? Through an aux-in/blank CD setup? Great setup.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started off by taking the door and clock off the bin, then taping around where I would be making my cuts to protect the surface as much as possible.

In this picture, you can see where I drilled the hole in the side of the screen to put a hinge, which lined up with where the screw that holds the screen together. thus the superglue.

This is the hardware I used for the hinge.

With all that, and cutting holes for the cables, you get this.

There did end up being a slight clearance problem with the door being closed, so I had to trim out the part here in red, it's off the bottom layer of the door, you don't even see it.

Day pics of the finished product later... :D

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Galager said:
How do you run the audio from the carputer? Through an aux-in/blank CD setup? Great setup.
No, but I might try that to see if I get any better quality of sound.

I ended up using a wired FM modulator I got from Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CQOyCh82PM2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=234550&I=142FMMOD01&search=fm+modulator

...in addition with a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack. :wink: Not ideal, but with some equalization, it's not too bad. On mp3car.com, it seems that all the carputer purists think your cheating if you go through your head unit, but again, I was looking to keep stock looking on the inside. I'm sure this project will evolve too, I am using my old laptop for this so I might be looking into an external sound card to see about improving the sound too, or seeing if someone wants to trade for a small desktop tht would be a bit more, upgradible.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Wow! :shock: So let me get this straight. You installed the springs etc. and bolted everything up correctly and when you took it in to get aligned they left the upper strut bolt out? really!? When I put WRX coilovers on my 04XT it needed the camber bolts in the rear (-2 degrees camber) but it was only to reduce the camber. It was still drivable as I didn't have the bolts at the time.

If this is the case, i'm sure you realize just how lucky you were because if the tire had blown out or jammed into the strut at high speed, you could have had one bad accident. And I find it hard to believe you would trust these idiots to ever get near your car again.

If anything, the new tire should have been paid for by the alignment shop as they could have just used the stock bolts or did it fall out? Any reputable shop would have acknowledged their GRAVE error and made things right as you could have been killed! My two cents.

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fishdizzle said:
I know this used to be on the old forum. but could i get the link to that guage pod?
I can't remeber which site I got it from, just goto www.froogle.com, and to a search for "vdo" and "boost" and you will get like 3 pages of different shops that sell em.

NahdaDamdyke,
I'm just assuming they didn't tighten up that camber "kit" bolt that they replaced the stock bolt with. Per Scoobymods that bold needs to be tightened to like 129 ft lbs. This whole thing happeded like 2 weeks after the alignment. When I went back to that shop, the guy there said he was the new manager, and just fired half the staff because he didn't approve the way they were doing their jobs, and said that this incident was just more justification for what he did, and said they would do me right. Like I said, I could have raised all kinds of hell and threatened and demanded, but dispite how bad it could have been, and it turned out that that I was just minorly inconvienienced, and how mad could I be when it gave me an excuse to get rid of those geos, even though they probably could have gotten me through until next summer. I told them exactly what I wanted for compensation and they gave me what I asked. You're right, I was lucky. I pulled handfulls of shreaded rubber out of the wheel well that the strut had shaved off the inside of the wheel. I would love to know how much rubber was left on the inside of that tire. :shock: On the strut it looked like the black paint was rubbed off, but otherwise fine. I was doing around 65 at the time, but was able to get off the road pretty quickly concidering. There wan't much sholder though, so getting that bolt back in to avoid having to tow it was not without its risk and excitment. :roll:

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
Oddnoggins said:
Fishdizzle said:
I know this used to be on the old forum. but could i get the link to that guage pod?
I can't remeber which site I got it from, just goto www.froogle.com, and to a search for "vdo" and "boost" and you will get like 3 pages of different shops that sell em.

NahdaDamdyke,
I'm just assuming they didn't tighten up that camber "kit" bolt that they replaced the stock bolt with. Per Scoobymods that bold needs to be tightened to like 129 ft lbs. This whole thing happeded like 2 weeks after the alignment. When I went back to that shop, the guy there said he was the new manager, and just fired half the staff because he didn't approve the way they were doing their jobs, and said that this incident was just more justification for what he did, and said they would do me right. Like I said, I could have raised all kinds of hell and threatened and demanded, but dispite how bad it could have been, and it turned out that that I was just minorly inconvienienced, and how mad could I be when it gave me an excuse to get rid of those geos, even though they probably could have gotten me through until next summer. I told them exactly what I wanted for compensation and they gave me what I asked. You're right, I was lucky. I pulled handfulls of shreaded rubber out of the wheel well that the strut had shaved off the inside of the wheel. I would love to know how much rubber was left on the inside of that tire. :shock: On the strut it looked like the black paint was rubbed off, but otherwise fine. I was doing around 65 at the time, but was able to get off the road pretty quickly concidering. There wan't much sholder though, so getting that bolt back in to avoid having to tow it was not without its risk and excitment. :roll:
Rear strut bolt Torques are actually 150 ft-lbs. The fronts are 130.

And, I totally agree with previous comments, if they sent you off without the top bolt in at all, WHOAH, did you get lucky that the whole corner of the suspension wasn't ripped off and sent you into a really nasty accident.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
I hear ya' man. It takes a man? to take the high road in these situations. Optimism makes for a happier life. I originally missed the replacement tire they gave you and at least they owned up.

I recommend H&R or the Ingalls bolts. (Torqued correctly!) :roll: Oh and installed in a garage.

That's one hell of a way to justify dumping the Geos though. :shock:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Oddnoggins said:
Fishdizzle said:
No I meant the Pod that you are holding it with

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oops :oops: , right, Subiegal made a bunch up, but I don't know if she has anymore. If she hasn't found her way here to the new site yet, I know she's a vendor on NASIOC. Hope that helps. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts