Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed today while reversing though some snow covered ground. The kind that makes the wheels spin a bit. a chopping effect if that's the right word. At the current rpm it may be like once every second. It's like the wheels was slipping and getting traction all the time.
Is this normal? Or is something slipping in the diffs?

Or could it be the rear wheels slipping because of the rear lsd...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I noticed today while reversing though some snow covered ground. The kind that makes the wheels spin a bit. a chopping effect if that's the right word. At the current rpm it may be like once every second. It's like the wheels was slipping and getting traction all the time.
Is this normal? Or is something slipping in the diffs?

Or could it be the rear wheels slipping because of the rear lsd...
From what you desribe, I am guessing that that is normal. The wheels "hop" as they find and lose traction on the snow. I been wheeling since 1975, and can attest that is a phenomenon that happens under certain circumstances. Sort of like sliding backwards at an angle when in 4-Low trying to go forward.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Auto
88 Posts
Elmy,

I experience the same thing regularly, in my 99 Forester, only when the snow is deep (up to the belly pan) and I have to really give it some pedal. It is always a little concerning, but I have never noticed a problem with the drive system.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elmy,

I experience the same thing regularly, in my 99 Forester, only when the snow is deep (up to the belly pan) and I have to really give it some pedal. It is always a little concerning, but I have never noticed a problem with the drive system.
Ye. I had to spin a bit to get up. it was a slight uphill and the ground was frozen underneath the snow.
I was a bit worry I would not get up tho. lol
things went slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts