Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester L.L. BEAN
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so when i have my wheel turned completely to the left or right the car makes a high pitch chirping/rubbing/ i have no idea what it is sound... any ideas?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
You should never, ever turn the steering wheel completely to either left or right. It puts excess pressure and stress on the power steering system and rack and will cause damage. The sound you hear is the higher-than-normal pressure in the pump and rack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
All mine does is sound like it's working a little harder when fully turned... not much different sounding than just turning the wheel when stopped. As far as "chipping/rubbing", could it be a loose power steering belt? I would call that sound more of a squeak though. Try wiggling the belt and see if it feel loose.

Oh, and don't worry about turning the wheel all the way... it won't hurt anything. ArcadeTom, you have little faith in machinery if you think turning all the way one way will cause damage LOL. Generally, the only thing that happens is the pump can wear out, but that's not typical from a daily driver. Usually, that's more of any issue with people who auto-x with sticky wide tires. Just a lot of heavy usage will slowly wear it out.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
You should never, ever turn the steering wheel completely to either left or right. It puts excess pressure and stress on the power steering system and rack and will cause damage. The sound you hear is the higher-than-normal pressure in the pump and rack.
I'd say it's almost impossible to never turn the steering wheel all the way. I know Subaru says that, but I say it's completely ridiculous. I've done it 100s of times, sometimes even while on the throttle HARD, and my rack and pump are just fine at 60K.

Make sure you are not low on power steering fluid, maybe?

Stan

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Forester
22 Posts
My old Impreza used to shudder a bit on full lock when the fluid was low. The pressure in the lines would fluctuate as the line wasn't pulling enough fluid (because it wasnt there). It's worth checking but it sounds to me more like the belt slipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts