Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe there isn't a website (or is there?) where you can input your VIN and get a definitive answer as to whether your vehicle has a transponder chip in the key. I've been trying to research it before I bring my car in for a remote starter installation and I'm getting mixed results. One site which supposedly has the answer says yes, the 2006 Forester does have a chip, but I just drove my car into work today using the valet key, which would lead me to believe it does not have a chip. My owners manual refers to an immobilizer key, which based on the picture in the manual, I don't have. Sure, I trust the installer, but it would be nice to be able to research prices, etc., with the proper knowledge so that "I don't know for sure" doesn't have to be the answer I give when asked.

Seems like a straightforward request. I wonder why it's so relatively difficult to find out. BTW, it's not just our Foresters. The info would be helpful for all vehicle owners, I would think.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
car101.com is a good place for model info. The immobilizer chipped key is only available on the 05-08 XT models. ALL 09+ models have chipped keys.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yeah, I've bookmarked that Cars101 site and it is very informative. But then it threw me off when it mentioned the security system:

When off: a red 'security' light will flash in the center of the instrument panel indicating the car has an anti-theft system.
This light will flash when the car is turned off or the key is removed. It flashes approx. once every 3 seconds, a single flash every 3 seconds.

I have that blinking light thing if I choose to enable it depending on how I lock the vehicle. I guess I should at least disable that before I bring it in for the remote starter.

As for asking the dealer, yeah I could. Interestingly enough, when I called Hyundai corporate to ask about my daughter's Tucson, they didn't know and asked me to call a dealer. I called the dealer and at first they said they didn't know. I asked them how they could possibly install remote starters if they didn't know. They then put me on hold for a minute and came back with the answer that no, the Tucson doesn't have a chip. I don't beleive my Subaru dealer is that clueless, but I didn't feel like getting into them trying to sell me their $399 version of the starter.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,877 Posts
I can't believe there isn't a website (or is there?) where you can input your VIN and get a definitive answer as to whether your vehicle has a transponder chip in the key. I've been trying to research it before I bring my car in for a remote starter installation and I'm getting mixed results. One site which supposedly has the answer says yes, the 2006 Forester does have a chip, but I just drove my car into work today using the valet key, which would lead me to believe it does not have a chip. My owners manual refers to an immobilizer key, which based on the picture in the manual, I don't have. Sure, I trust the installer, but it would be nice to be able to research prices, etc., with the proper knowledge so that "I don't know for sure" doesn't have to be the answer I give when asked.

Seems like a straightforward request. I wonder why it's so relatively difficult to find out. BTW, it's not just our Foresters. The info would be helpful for all vehicle owners, I would think.
With your VIN number, your dealership can tell you pretty much anything you want to know about your Forester. With just my VIN, my dealership cut spare keys for my '03 & even my '07! Spooky what information the VIN contains! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts