Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps others are just much more tolerant with rude people and poor service than I.

However, I won't ever be taking my car to Chino Hills Subaru again.

Warranty repair for a clutch issue.

Service writer argues about stuff he doesn't know about, but certainly should.

Service writer accuses me of abusing the car and then says it's just a joke.

Service writer tells me they don't do rental cars or loaners if the car is needed for more than a day.

Service writer tells me that "he's sure they have the parts in stock"

fast forward 5 hours.....

Service writer calls me to say "ooops we don't have the part and won't until Monday (4 working days)."

Service writer tells me to come pick up my car and bring it back when the part is in.

Service writer tells me that the tech didn't look (remove transaxle) but says that it definitely needs a release bearing which they don't have in stock.
I ask them to please order a whole clutch kit. If it only needs a release bearing, we're good to go. If the failed release bearing caused additional damage the parts will already be on hand and I won't be further incovenienced. I'm told "No, it won't be neccessary"

Upon picking up my car I speak to the Service Manager to ask about ordering the clutch kit, just in case.

He tells me, it won't be neccessary. This isn't the same issue they have with the Legacy GT's and that I should stay off the internet forums because people there get all their terminology mixed up.

I explain my concerns with the failed release bearing and what it might have done to the clutch pressure plate among other parts.

He then tells me that if the release bearing fails it can seize on the "CASE", and in those few instances they have to replace the "CASE".

OMG....talk about getting your terminology mixed up. Perhaps a catastrophic failure has damaged a case or two but they certainly don't "seize on the case".

At this point I wish they'd let the customers deal directly with the techs. You know the people who actually know the difference between a CV joint and a muffler bearing. The ones who have some formal training and knowledge.

In the end, I cancel my Monday appointment with Chino Hills and take it to the next closest dealer.

They check to see if they have all the parts that may be neccessary in stock before scheduling my appointment. I take the car in. I get the car back the same day, 1 hour before promised. Complete with a new flywheel, new pressure plate, new friction disc, and a new release bearing.

I'm not thrilled about having a brand new car needing warranty service. This is my 6th new car--first Subaru, first one with a $30K sticker and the first one that needed warranty work.

I've taken exactly one car to a dealership in my lifetime and that was only because it needed a T-belt and WP and was a job I didn't want to do (FWD V6). All the other 5 cars had 150K+ miles when I sold them....not one needed any kind of repairs.

Maybe my expectations are too high. But, more important than the clutch issue is HOW the issue was handled.

I hope to never have to take a car to a dealership again. If I do, it won't be Chino Hills Subaru....then perhaps that won't be an option in the near future---which could explain the attitudes I encountered.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had problems with your new car. I hope you are forwarding a complaint to Subaru's customer service, sounds like you were patient with the service writer and are experienced with what actions need to be taken with the issues concerning the clutch. Also forward a copy to the dealers owner and dealership's manager, quite often the owner is farther up the food chain overseeing multiple line dealerships, believe me it's been my experience that they are interested in your comments. I recall reading some posts recently about the hill holder feature causing some clutch related problems, seems the solution is to back it off and live without it, probably not related to your problems, just making you aware. Glad to hear you got customer satisfaction at the other dealership, and hope you let them know that. Certainly feels good when you're told that the customer is happy. Now go out and drive.:banana:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Service Managers really don't know much, if anything, about the cars. Problem is, they're the ones that people ask about their cars.

I'm glad I have South Coast Subaru down here since these guys are very mod friendly and they actually let me walk straight back into the pit to talk to the techs (well, you should get to know the Service Manager first I guess before you do that).

I loathed the sales staff at Chino, but I guess I'll avoid their service too (but it's probably just the SM that's a douchebucket).

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I was thinking that the hill holder feature was adjusted a little too aggressive in the begining. Thought that can't possibly be good for the clutch, I prefer that my cars let me drive and not interfere with what I'm telling them to do. I have since adjusted my driving style to not utilize the hill holder feature. I probably should just disconnect it or adjust it all the way out.

I have sent emails to the General manager and service manager, copied the service writer as well. No response. Followed up with another, forwarding the first email, to the GM only. Still no response.

I didn't pull the "don't you know how many cars I buy and how many people I know?" b.s. because I couldn't find a tactful way of suggesting the potential lost business without sounding like a pompous ***. I have been involved in road racing since 1989 and also serviced for a Group 2 rally car. Have a brother in law who races a Top Alcohol flat bottom capsule boat, another brother in law who is very active in the 4H club, and a good friend who barrel races horses. They ALL currently have trailers to support their hobbies. I have had no less than 4 trailers. Chino Hills Subaru is also a Featherlite and Haulmark trailer dealer. Guess who I won't be reccommending when the time comes for these people to replace their trailers?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Subaru won't warranty a clutch repair without replacing the flywheel and the throwout and pilot bearings. To me the rest is just the usual rhetoric.

Yeah, I was thinking that the hill holder feature was adjusted a little too aggressive in the begining. Thought that can't possibly be good for the clutch, I have since adjusted my driving style to not utilize the hill holder feature. I probably should just disconnect it or adjust it all the way out.
It would have helped to have this adjusted in the first place.

·
Registered
08 XT Limited
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subaru won't warranty a clutch repair without replacing the flywheel and the throwout and pilot bearings. To me the rest is just the usual rhetoric.
It would have helped to have this adjusted in the first place.
Yeah, I just adjusted my driving style so that I don't use the hill holder feature at all once it held a little too aggressive in my opinion.

Interesting to note Subaru's stance on clutch warranty coverage because Chino Hills didn't plan on replacing anything but the release bearing....I was wondering if the other dealership might have just been replacing everything since they'd be able to get more billable labor from SoA.

Clutch pedal action is MUCH lighter than before (same engagement and release points in pedal travel) do you know if they superseeded the p/n or changed the design of the pressure plate? I wasn't able to see the parts they took out so I don't know if their were some goofed up fingers on the old pressure plate or if it is a diaphram style? No slippage at all in higher gears at full boost, so I believe it has adequate clamping force on the disc. It's just considerably lighter feel. No notes on invoice about changing the release fork (different geometry?) or the slave cylinder (larger diameter?).

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
There were a few threads about shreaded clutch plates possibly due to misadjusted Hill Holders here. As soon as I needed to slip the clutch on my 08' XT from a stop I took it in and had them adjust it. Not aware of any superceded part numbers though.

Again it's my understanding that SOA wont warranty a clutch repair without replacing flywheel, disc and both bearings. I'll bet Chino Hills was trying to get you to accept the partial repair but they would have found out or knew they couldn't get reimbursed by SOA that way. I would be glad they covered it nonetheless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts