Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
First chevy that isn't heinous in the past 25 years. Glad they're going high and boxey style. I'd still go with an XV IMO or Baja

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Strange to even hear GM mention Subaru since they sold off their stake. The big guys aren't supposed to mention their smaller competitors.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Subaru’s sales, led by the Forester small SUV, have grown more than 61 percent in the past two years. Subaru doesn’t sell a pickup, but its all-wheel-drive hatchbacks are popular with people who spend a lot of time outdoors, particularly on the coasts.

GM wants to replicate that success with a U.S. brand.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That may be the most comical thing I've read all week. Good luck, GM.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
That is silly. Really a pick-up truck is going to be sold as a forester? But everyone is noticing subaru's success. I noticed that both the RAV 4 commercials and the CRV commercials make direct comparisons with the forester (often misleading ones, surprise, surprise) but not with each other! Weird given what a tiny part of the market we are. Praising through faint damnation, as it were.

Typical mislead: Toyota advert says first that they sell more 4x4s than anyone, then without taking a breath it says the rav-4 gets better mpgs than the forester (not mentioning that it's the 2wd version that does). Stooopid.

No one mentions safety.

·
Registered
2015 forester XT Premium, 2019 Forester Premium
108 Posts
First off its a pick up and not even close to the same category .

Maybe if it was a baja .

·
Registered
2015 forester XT Premium, 2019 Forester Premium
108 Posts
That is silly. Really a pick-up truck is going to be sold as a forester? But everyone is noticing subaru's success. I noticed that both the RAV 4 commercials and the CRV commercials make direct comparisons with the forester (often misleading ones, surprise, surprise) but not with each other! Weird given what a tiny part of the market we are. Praising through faint damnation, as it were.

Typical mislead: Toyota advert says first that they sell more 4x4s than anyone, then without taking a breath it says the rav-4 gets better mpgs than the forester (not mentioning that it's the 2wd version that does). Stooopid.

No one mentions safety.

Lol , the new Cherokee brought all of the competition to compare, and guess who was not invited to the party ..... Yup the forester. I would love to see
forester xt vs. Cherokee vs. Evoque

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2014 Forester X 6spd
323 Posts
I use to be a huge Chevy fan. Until I got sick of the horrible resale/reliability and the fact that they were assembled using 70% Chinese and Mexican parts. IMO GM and Chrysler should have went under and I will never give another dime to a company that was kept afloat using taxpayer money to do nothing more than keep a group of board members from losing their $50,000,000 a year salaries. They should have been forced to bring 100% of their operations back to the U.S. if they wanted to be bailed out.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
105 Posts
The Colorado will fill a relatively modest niche left open by the late Ford Sport Trac and soon-to-be-hiatused Honda Ridgeline, but is unlikely to dent Subaru's numbers much more than they did. Absent a benchmark AWD system or (any sort of) badge cred, the truck would have to offer a truly exceptional package of innovation, quality, efficiency, safety and affordability -- something that Warren, Michigan, isn't widely celebrated for.

Name-dropping the Forester is basically a publicity tactic, and a well-worn one. Recalling the Oldsmobile Achieva ("Accord fighter"), or the Lincoln LS ("Detroit's 3-Series"), or -- reaching way back -- the Ford Granada ("affordable Mercedes"), Subaru likely hasn't much to worry about.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
... Name-dropping the Forester is basically a publicity tactic, and a well-worn one. Recalling the -- reaching way back -- the Ford Granada ("affordable Mercedes"), Subaru likely hasn't much to worry about.
Hah, we had a silver 1977 Granada with red leather, and someone did mistake it for a Mercedes. But it drove poorly, handled unsafely, the straight-6 was dangerously underpowered, and never got more than 17 mpg.

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts
My take on this, the Colorado might be a good companion vehicle to a person who already owns a Forester (or other Subaru), but needs truck capabilities for their outdoor pursuits. Tacoma fits this spot to a T, the Frontier also. Not sure what to think of the Colorado, but competition is never a bad thing.

Example: My retired neighbors have a late model Outback and are looking to replace their aging S-10 with a new truck. They use Outback for ski/snow shoe vacations throughout the southwest, but the truck for kayaking, mountain biking, gardening & who knows what else. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these in the garage next to the '13 Outback.

It is a good comparison, as the typical Equinox owners I know are more into Harleys than Cannondales.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
I don't see it taking away from people who want a forester/outback/legacy/etc, but it definitely will take away those who like subaru (drove them in the past), but need/want a truck for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
At least they dumped the I-5 engine for a V6 and will option a diesel. That makes it much more viable in my book. There were many issues with the old engine.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,120 Posts
As a lifelong Detroiter with a number of friends who work for each of the big 3, I wish GM some luck with the new Colorado. I have been annoyed that every pickup truck on the road is 10 feet tall and weighs 6000 lbs and remember how good mini pickups used to be as economy vehicles. (Cost per miles used to rival Civics and Corollas.)

In fact, a very good friend is a GM interior designer who made some of the Colorado ergonomics work and has been sending me links and info.

That said, I don't think the Colorado will have any effect on Forester sales but will hopefully reduce sales of Queen Mary sized pickups from all brands.

In addition to my Forester, I still have my '02 Ford E150 van (and have had a full size van since 1986, and a pickup before that dating back to 1978). I have no use for a pickup or van that can't hold 4x8 sheets of stuff fully enclosed.... My van will hold a couch or queen sized mattress inside.

George

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT w/ 4WD on demand
305 Posts
I use to be a huge Chevy fan. Until I got sick of the horrible resale/reliability and the fact that they were assembled using 70% Chinese and Mexican parts. IMO GM and Chrysler should have went under and I will never give another dime to a company that was kept afloat using taxpayer money to do nothing more than keep a group of board members from losing their $50,000,000 a year salaries. They should have been forced to bring 100% of their operations back to the U.S. if they wanted to be bailed out.
+ INFINITY
I Use to have a chevy, and preferred them over Ford, NOW you couldn't give one, and I'll take a Ford. I wish they had gone under instead of wasting taxpayers money. At least they saved money by not having to change the emblem; government motor co. :biggrin:

The new colorado looks similar to the lines of a Frontier, and with a nose job.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts