Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited CVT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy - just changed my oil & filter (no I did not drain my trans) and I can't get a good reading on the dipstick. It reads several inches above the full mark and I only put in about 4.5 quarts (yes My auto trans fluid level is correct). I oulled and wiped sevarl times and still get the same results.

I have heard that these Subaru dipsticks can be funky, but jeeze...

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Welcome to the "I Can't Read My Stupid Subaru Dipstick Club". The only way I can get what I feel is an accurate reading is to let the car sit overnight to get all the oil to drain down out of the dipstick guide tube. Anything less and I'm just guessing. Sometimes you can sort of see a lowest dry level on the stick and that might be it but if you stick it back in a try to read the level again it may be different.

Guy

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I always use 5qts, but if you got 4.5qts in it your good. Just let it sit overnight like guylr said and check it in the morning.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
I always use 5qts, but if you got 4.5qts in it your good. Just let it sit overnight like guylr said and check it in the morning.
For NAs, I prefer to use 4 qts + filter because we're 4.2qts instead of 4.8qts, IIRC. Should come out about right, maybe a little high (so about 800mLs of the bottle instead).

I've been finding that 10w-30 is easier to read that 5w-30... anyone else finding this to be true?

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited CVT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies!

OK - I have let it sit for 3 hours and re-checked. The "level" has gone down about an inch on the stick (still about an inch too high). I can see that there is some smearing above what I am calling the "level".

Can it really take this long for the residual oil in the tube to settle out?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts