Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me an idiot, a novice, call me what you will, but... I can't remember how to check engine oil levels correctly.

(1) move car to flat and level position, turn off ignition, leave car to rest and cool for x minutes/hours, check engine oil level using dipstick.

(2) move car to flat and level position, warm engine, turn off ignition, check engine oil level using dipstick.

I always used to do No 1, but I think I've read somewhere recently that the best way to take accurate measurement is with a warmed engine and then check level immediately! (May have been in the manual where I read this??!)

Embarrassing question to have to ask.... :icon_redface:

mike

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
1. Get engine to operating temperature.
2. Park on level surface.
3. Turn off engine, wait 2-3 minutes.
4. Check oil level.

That's how I check it. (usually, I check it while I'm filling up at a station)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,596 Posts
I reckon flat ground.

Cold engine.

If you think about it, all the oil willl have found it's way into the bottom og=f the engine.

If it's still warm, oil could be up in the top & not measured.

I could be wrong but that's what we were told to do in the Forces.

Regards

AM

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
For what it's worth, my Subaru dealership claimed it can take up to two hours on flat ground for the oil to fully drain back to the sump.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
I've always done cold engine as well

I know in air cooled 911's you have to have the engine running, but that's the only time I've heard of it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,377 Posts
Cold..check it in the morning. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it thoroughly and insert it slowly. Read it only once. Subsequent readings are not accurate bc you drag oil on the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Sheffscoob, it's better to check the engine oil cold. Perhaps you're thinking of ATF which should be checked hot (and running). The reliable way to check the Subaru dipstick is to take it out, wipe it, and then leave it out for five minutes. This allows the oil that you just dragged up the tube to run back down. Then dip once and check. If you don't wait between taking it out and dipping, you'll get a big smear of oil on the stick which can make it hard to spot the true level.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, as I thought. Cold engine, flat and level. one reading or wait to ake a second. many thanks.

yours sincerely

A N Idiot
Sheffield

;)

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Cold..check it in the morning. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it thoroughly and insert it slowly.
I can't believe i'm the only one to pick up on this. Come on guys.

take it out, wipe it, and then leave it out for five minutes
Aw, this is killing me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts