Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I might just be paranoid but recently I did my 30k service. I usually check my AT fluid with the car off after I've been driving it for a while. I was recently reading the owners manual and it says to check the AT fluid while at idle. So I decided to do that... To my surprise it didn't seem like I was getting any reading on the dipstick while at idle but when I check it with the car off and hot it is right at the correct mark. Can someone please tell me everything will be ok? LOL. Thanks

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
huh.. you are supposed to check it while the engine is running, at idle, after having rowed through all the gears. are you low? if you check with engine off, it tends to be higher than what it really is.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went back and tried pulling the dip stick out quicker and I got a mark on the L on the Hot portion of the dip stick. Good thing I haven't driven it but around the block. .. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Yeah that darn ATF is hard to read. Luckily, you can *supposedly* drive with 50% ATF, but I wouldn't do that. I had experienced that a few months ago when I drained and refilled, but couldn't tell if the ATF was residual stuff or actual dip sample, only to hear a light grinding sound and figure out it was only residual fluid :\ Should be darkish red on the stick.

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that darn ATF is hard to read. Luckily, you can *supposedly* drive with 50% ATF, but I wouldn't do that. I had experienced that a few months ago when I drained and refilled, but couldn't tell if the ATF was residual stuff or actual dip sample, only to hear a light grinding sound and figure out it was only residual fluid :\ Should be darkish red on the stick.
High Five for the quick response!!! I just topped her off and hopefully everything will be good. The dip stick is in the worst place too. Every time I check the fluids I have to pull off the engine cover. Hopefully next time Subaru will make the dip stick tube more of a straight shot into the pan instead of a long "S" shape tube. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,121 Posts
One thing is on the other side are the marks for "cold" so if you put it to the top of "hot" when it was not really "hot" you probably overfilled it a bit.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
right, when filling up on a cold tranny (e.g haven't driven anywhere in a while) you should only fill up to COLD HIGH (or even a little below it if it's still slightly warm) and then start, drive around, check again.

alternatively, just measure what came out cold and put that amount back in. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts