Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had four new Michelins put on and when I got home I found that the tire pressure was at 40 psi in all four tires. Discount tire paperwork shows that the tires required 30 psi. Also Discount Tire Warranty clearly states that the wrong air pressure would void the warranty. Every time I take my car to DT the wrong pressure is put in.
Yes, my 3 air gauges show the same pressure, so it isn't my gauges

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
Yep, pretty common. Never trust the pressures set by the tire shop... always check for yourself. I also usually re-torque the lug nuts to spec in case the tire shop monkeys used an impact wrench (which often seems to be the case despite claims that they hand-torque them).

·
Supporting Vendor
866 Posts
I had four new Michelins put on and when I got home I found that the tire pressure was at 40 psi in all four tires. Discount tire paperwork shows that the tires required 30 psi. Also Discount Tire Warranty clearly states that the wrong air pressure would void the warranty. Every time I take my car to DT the wrong pressure is put in.
Yes, my 3 air gauges show the same pressure, so it isn't my gauges
Thank you for the post and for choosing Discount Tire.

Which Michelin model and size did you purchase? What year and model Forester were the tires installed on? I would be happy to double check the recommended cold PSI.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
What's your local elevation? Were the tires hot or cold when they measured 40 psi?

Assuming Subaru's recommended 32F/30R (non-towing) cold tire pressure recommendation for the 2011 Forester w/ 225/55R17 tires (ref 2011 OM page 12-10), then the cold pressure measured with a sea-level normalized TP gauge should read somewhat high depending on elevation (assuming a constant ambient temperature).

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"should read somewhat high???? depending on elevation (assuming a constant ambient temperature)."

2800 ft same as the tire store.
ambient

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
OK... 2800 ft elevation shouldn't be a serious issue... I'm at about the same elevation in western NC. I asked the question because there are higher elevations around you in Utah's "Dixie".

So, yeah, 40 psi cold TP is high, IMHO. I typically run somewhere between 32 and 34.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes I go up to 10,300. Next time up I'll check pressure at home, then at 10,300 after they cool.
I still believe DT doesn't pay attention to air pressure requirements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts