Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Check Engine P0011, then dead turbo?

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  blackOnblack 
#1 ·
I was driving home today and went to pass someone on the freeway, accelerating to ~85mph then the check engine light came on, with the flashing cruise control light.

I stopped at a AutoZone on the way home (few blocks from my house) to get a OBD II Code reader, and when I got home the light was gone.

Thinking it was just a fluke, I plugged in the OBD II reader anyways and it gave a P0011 code. Running out of time, I jumped back in the car and ran a quick errand (30miles round trip). By the time I got to my destination, everytime the turbo would spool (3k~) it would make a "WHOOOOOOO" sound, instead of the normal spooling sound.

I slowly got back on the freeway and headed home. By the time I reached my exit, I could barely accelerate and there was starting to make a clinking sound. It was coming from behind the passenger side dash (where the turbo is).

I got home, popped the hood and the turbo was pinging (from heat). I called the subie dealership, and barely made it there (1-2 miles from my house).

Any ideas and what might be wrong besides the possibility of a dead turbo?

Thanks!

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I think i'm going to stick w/ the stock setup until I can afford to peice together the entire STi kit.

I found this one on eBay,

http: //cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB ayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230423558846&s sPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOT ORS:1123

I asked if the turbo shaft had any play (the one that just blew on mine, had 1/4" play!!!) and he replied with:

"There is normal play for a thrust bearing turbo. The case is not cracked. This turbo is good to go. I'd run it on my car if I needed one."

Does that sound about right? sorry for the noOb question. :)

(sorry for the spaces in the url, i can't post links yet)

edit: nevermind, i bought it. it'll be in tomorrow :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.