Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home today and went to pass someone on the freeway, accelerating to ~85mph then the check engine light came on, with the flashing cruise control light.

I stopped at a AutoZone on the way home (few blocks from my house) to get a OBD II Code reader, and when I got home the light was gone.

Thinking it was just a fluke, I plugged in the OBD II reader anyways and it gave a P0011 code. Running out of time, I jumped back in the car and ran a quick errand (30miles round trip). By the time I got to my destination, everytime the turbo would spool (3k~) it would make a "WHOOOOOOO" sound, instead of the normal spooling sound.

I slowly got back on the freeway and headed home. By the time I reached my exit, I could barely accelerate and there was starting to make a clinking sound. It was coming from behind the passenger side dash (where the turbo is).

I got home, popped the hood and the turbo was pinging (from heat). I called the subie dealership, and barely made it there (1-2 miles from my house).

Any ideas and what might be wrong besides the possibility of a dead turbo?

Thanks!

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dealer called. $3300 to fix.

Said they took off the turbo, and it had oil in it. The downpipe was also leaking oil. All seals on turbo are shot.

I need a new turbo, and apparently "cats".

·
Registered
377 Posts
Used parts may be much less cost. I've had good results w/ many used parts, but never a turbocharger.

good luck

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2004, 106k miles.

wanna know the worst part about this whole situation? I only bought the car 3 weeks ago.

DOH!

And yes, I'm going to used this as a opportunity to start bolting on STi parts.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
311 Posts
Pick your poison, lots of cheap stock turbos here and nasoic, also cheap upgrades too if you desire.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think i'm going to stick w/ the stock setup until I can afford to peice together the entire STi kit.

I found this one on eBay,

http: //cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB ayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230423558846&s sPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOT ORS:1123

I asked if the turbo shaft had any play (the one that just blew on mine, had 1/4" play!!!) and he replied with:

"There is normal play for a thrust bearing turbo. The case is not cracked. This turbo is good to go. I'd run it on my car if I needed one."

Does that sound about right? sorry for the noOb question. :)

(sorry for the spaces in the url, i can't post links yet)

edit: nevermind, i bought it. it'll be in tomorrow :)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'm going to guess your uppipe cat dis-integrated and pieces of it went through the turbo. Catless uppipe FTW.

A used TD04 is under $150. $3,300 what? That's a racecar right there.

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
'07-'08s FXTs came with catless uppipe stock, so did the '04-'07 STis -- those should be pretty cheap.

Stan

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
and how involved is the installation of an up-pipe? Is that a DIY deal?

·
Premium Member
10,784 Posts
You'd have to get to it from under the car, it's attached to the exhaust manifold. I hear removing the uppipe IS the way to do a turbo swap, I did my swap with the uppipe in place and it was a PITA.

Stan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts