Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forster 5spd
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I have had my forester for sometime now, and the check engine light will occasionally flick on and off. I have no idea why this is I've taken it to the mechanics before and they couldn't find any reason why it is doing this.

Today I was talking to someone who owns a forester also and told me that she had the computer inside restarted? something along those lines anyways I was wondering if this might solve my problem and if anyone here know's if I could do this myself as I'm short of cash to have some Mechanic do it.

Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Local auto parts store should have a scanner that plugs into your on board diagnostics system that they typically do free of charge.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
1,343 Posts
Today I was talking to someone who owns a forester also and told me that she had the computer inside restarted?
May be they had the ECU/computer RESET. You can do this by disconnecting the battery's NEGATIVE terminal*, push the brake pedal and let the car sit for 30 mins. Reconnect it, start the engine and let it idle w/ALL ACCESSORIES OFF and don't touch the throttle 'til the temp gauge is in the normal range (~10mins).

Then see how it does. Since you didn't change anything whatever is causing the CEL to flicker may come back or you might get lucky.

*This will erase your radio presets and If you have a stock or aftermarket alarm system, make sure you know how to reset it!!

GL,
TD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts