Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester manual transmisssion
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the "check engine light" on, and the symbol for "Vehicle Dynamics Control" light is on. At the same time, my "Cruise Control" green indicator is blinking on and off.

This occurred after filling up but forgot to put gas cap back on. I'm sure all these indicator lights have something to do with leaving the gas cap off and driving about five miles before getting the cap back on.

Subaru manual says that the gas cap being loose or not fitting tightly can cause the "check engine light" to come on. But I don't know how to troubleshoot the "cruise control light".

I'm going out to the car to re-check the gas cap and make sure it's clicking to indicate it's on as tight as can be allowed.

Okay, I did the gas cap tight and drove it around the block with NO CHANGE TO EITHER CHECK ENGINE, VEHICLE DYNAMICS CONTROL OR CRUISE CONTROL lights changing.

The manual says it may take more than one road trip for this condition to change.

My question: Does anyone have a fix to my "check engine/vehicle dynamics control or cruise control light problem?

katyb69

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,067 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X RWD JDM 6mt
454 Posts
The car needs several "drive cycles" to check and recheck the systems to shut off the warning lights.

If you are impatient you may unhook the negative terminal on the battery to kill all power and then hook it back up. This will clear everything.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,622 Posts
If the gas cap was tight, you'll want to go get the codes ran to identify why the dash is lit up like a christmas tree. Swing by a local auto parts store and report back.

·
Registered
2011 Forester manual transmisssion
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the solution to my own problem

The 2011 manual says that after refueling, gas cap may not be sufficiently tightened. In my case, I had driven off with the cap dangling.

After this, the "check engine light" and the "vehicle dynamics control" light, along with the "cruise control" indicators came on.

I went out and tightened the gas cap on till I heard clicks. Then, not immediately as the manual states, after two small errands in the car, all indicators turned themselves off and there has been no further trouble issues.

I can't believe how lucky I am.

Sleepstate you were on it. Thanks for everyone pitching in.

katyb69

1 - 5 of 5 Posts