Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 forester l with 201,000 miles on it. I just picked up this car and on the way home with it the check engine light came on. Had it code scanned and it was code P0440 Evap malfunction. So I found the filler neck and sensor completely rotted out. I replaced them and reset the CEL and after 120 miles its back on. Any thoughts? The gas mileage is not great with this car either. maybe 280 miles per tank. I am sure the CEL isnt helping.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Did you replace the gas cap too?

·
Registered
2000 Forester S
6 Posts
I have the same issue with my '00 S with 154k miles. Had the car scanned and was told by my mechanic that the #2 cylinder was misfiring.Had the plugs & wires replaced, CEL reset. Light went off initially but came on again. Advised by mechanic to replace ignition module. You can find one on SubaruPartsForYou.com for $149. Simple swap.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2001 Forester Automatic
151 Posts
Just looked at the service procedure for a 2001 for that code, this is what it stated.

DTC DETECTING CONDITION:
Light lit because there were 2 consecutive driving cycles with fault

TROUBLE SYMPTOM:
•Gasoline smell
•There is a hole of more than 1.0 mm (0.04 in) dia. in evaporation system or fuel tank.

Check if any other codes present, if so investigate/troubleshoot
Check Fuel Cap
Check Fuel Filler Pipe Packing
Check Drain Valve - should make noise when activated
Check Purge Control Solenoid - should make noise when activated
Check Evaporative Emission Control Sysytem Line - no hole of 1mm or more
Check Cannister - no hole of 1mm or more
Check Fuel Tank - no hole of 1mm or more
Check any other mechanical trouble in evaporative emmission control system - no hole of 1mm or more

Not sure if this is directly applies to a 2000 model year but it probably is similar, sounds like there is a solenoid or valve that could be dead or a small hole somewhere.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
.....The gas mileage is not great with this car either. maybe 280 miles per tank
:icon_eek:

I would KILL to get up to 280 miles per tank. I'm happy just to get 200 out of mine.

Sorry for the threadjack....continue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts