Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my check engine, VDC and cruise lights come on the other night on the highway. Cleared the ECU of the code and it has not come back on since. Car seems to be running just fine as well. Also did in fact when it came on.

Pretty sure it's nothing but kinda thinking now I should see what's up. Can a code be read if the ECU has been cleared? Is it stored for bit?

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,751 Posts
Had my check engine, VDC and cruise lights come on the other night on the highway. Cleared the ECU of the code and it has not come back on since. Car seems to be running just fine as well. Also did in fact when it came on.

Pretty sure it's nothing but kinda thinking now I should see what's up. Can a code be read if the ECU has been cleared? Is it stored for bit?
No, if you cleared it, it's probably gone. But, who knows, you might still be able to read it - it won't hurt anything to try.

If it happens again, go by any auto parts store and they can read it for you. From the code number you can get a sense of what is wrong (or at least what the computer thinks is wrong). Most auto parts persons will not clear the code.

You might invest in an OBD-II code reader - they're very inexpensive - ~$20 - try eBay or Amazon. They all seem to be made in China - my Actron Pocket Scan Plus even came from a Hong Kong eBay seller. All you want to do is read and clear codes - beyond that it's all 'features'. BTW, clearing codes with a reader is a lot handier than disconnecting the battery.

An OBD-II scan tool is particularly useful for Subaru owners who drive on the highway. Subaru, out of an abundance of caution, disables your cruise control with every CEL. Simply failing to tighten your gas cap can throw a CEL, so it's bye bye cruise control when you've got 400 miles yet to drive!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts