Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I was on the highway in 5th gear and I tried to go WOT. After that I heard a kind of a pop... It felt a little harsher than just a boost cut. But after the pop My Check Engine Light came on and a Cruise Control started blinking.

The only thing that's throwing me off is the blinking cruise control.

My car is the 2008 FXT with TBE and a Tuned stock ECU.

·
Registered
2007 Outback 4AT
106 Posts
The only thing that's throwing me off is the blinking cruise control.

Perfectly normal. The CC is automatically disabled by the engine control module when an engine-related code is generated. Flashing CC indicated it's not working.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5M
37 Posts
WOT in 5th gear with an ECU tune, you probably had an over boost from not downshifting witch caused the ECU to cut the fuel momentarily. You will have to reset the ECU to clear the cel and this will also restart your CC. Your cc wont work untill you reset the ECU.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
tuned stock ecu, as in opensource? or do you have a tbe w/ just the stock ecu? def sounds like an overboost or fuel cut. the cruise control light is flashing because its disabled when the check engine light comes on. get an AP so you can read and reset these codes in the future! and if youre not tuned, GET TUNED ASAP!

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,784 Posts
Get the code read free at one of the chain auto parts stores. Without that info all we can do is guess. Yes, the cruise control thing is a safety measure, in case the actual problem might make cruise control behave unpredictably. It most probably doesn't mean that anything is wrong with cruise control itself.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
You should never go Wot in 5th.I would always run up from 3rd, 4th & then to 5th.I bet you have code p0244 over boost.

joe r

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Bad tune. I was able to do this running Stage 2 OTS COBB map. Get a better tune.

Better yet -- if you want power in 5th, ditch the TD04, it sucks. VF43 in my car made a huge difference in freeway driving, I can load up 5th gear like there is no tomorrow (think 3rd now).

Stan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
2 Posts
WOT in 5th gear with an ECU tune, you probably had an over boost from not downshifting witch caused the ECU to cut the fuel momentarily. You will have to reset the ECU to clear the cel and this will also restart your CC. Your cc wont work untill you reset the ECU.
Hi

I have this exact same problem too but I have a standard ECU as far as I know. Can I reset the ECU myself (and if so how do I do it?) or do I have to take it to a garage?

Many thanks

PS I dont understand any of the abberviations you have used in this thread -WOT, VF43, TBE W/:icon_frown:

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,784 Posts
Welcome!

Disconnecting the battery overnight will reset the ECU (and also the radio settings and the trip odometer, so write them down first), but the more significant CELs will come right back. Also, be prepared for a rough engine for the first few starts until the ECU gets things reanalyzed.

As for abbreviations and the like, there are a number of sticky threads right up at the top of the New Member Introductions forum that will help bring you up to speed on Foresters, Subarus in general, and how this forum works. Of special note is the 6-pager called Frequently Used Acronyms and Technical Terms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts