Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Forester, and 3 weeks ago I took it into a dealership to have the One-Way Fuel Valve removed as per the recent recall. The next day of driving, the Check Engine light came on, so I took it back in. I reminded them about the appointment for the recall, but they didn't seem to think that could have anything to do with it. The code was an EVAP code, and they thought maybe I hadn't been tightening the gas cap enough. They tightened it for me, and the light came back on 2 days later. This time they ran a smoke test, found nothing, and ordered a new gas cap. In the meantime, I started tightening my cap more than usual. Before the appointment to have the new cap installed, the light came on for a 3rd time. I went in to get the new cap, where they told me I'd been tightening the cap too much. Seriously? Anyhow, with my brand new cap on, the Check Engine light came on later that same evening.

Has anyone else had this problem following the Fuel Valve removal; or is it pure coincidence that following the surgery, I have an unexplainable EVAP problem? Any ideas on what might be causing this?

In the meantime, I'll write Subaru to explain this to them, and I plan on posting their response.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Sounds like maybe they didn't seal the tank correctly after removing the valve, how can you tighten the gas cap too much doesn't it click when its tight ?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
i had an EVAP code pop up all the time in my WRX. Typically, and as the dealer pointed out, it's due to a loose gas cap since that is the part of the fueling system most owners ever touch. In my case, I think it ended up being a loose hose connected to the charcoal canister.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts