Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 2.5X Limited and when switching my floor mats out I was very disappointed in the quality of the "carpeting". The floor covering has no pile at all and appears to be a similar material to headliners in some cars. I can't believe Subaru would use such cheap flooring material in a Limited edition with leather seating! I'm wondering how this cheap "carpeting" is going to hold up, especially to cleaning. Any 2009-2010 owners having any "carpeting" issues?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
The Subaru carpeting IS CHEAP in all '09-10 Foresters. The light gray 'mouse fur' in my Foz is pretty nasty looking around the driver's footwell.

Subaru cut some corners on interior materials to keep the vehicle price competitive- which is understandable since we get a great AWD system, and safety features out the wazoo for a price similar to many 2WD sedans.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Pfftt, not just in 09/10. The carpeting in my 03 is cheap as well, I hate it. It basically appears to be upgraded Velcro (the side of Velcro that has the carpet look). If there was real carpet kit available aftermarket, I would be hitting the 'Complete My Order' button as we speak.

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 2.5X Limited and when switching my floor mats out I was very disappointed in the quality of the "carpeting". The floor covering has no pile at all and appears to be a similar material to headliners in some cars. I can't believe Subaru would use such cheap flooring material in a Limited edition with leather seating! I'm wondering how this cheap "carpeting" is going to hold up, especially to cleaning. Any 2009-2010 owners having any "carpeting" issues?
My 2010 Premium has the same, rather disappointing carpeting. I do think the Limited "should" have better material given its upscale nature.

I drove a competitor recently, (no names but the accelerator supposedly falls to the floor without human aid), a "limited" edition with leather and all the bells/whistles and its carpet looked to me as if they wanted me to be able to hose the car out. It was worse than the Forester IMHO...for whatever consolation that might be.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad someone mentioned this. The interior of our '04 2.5X is a shambles despite good care and being garaged. Seat fabric is split in places (and we're not heavy people), the baby seat wore a hole in the back seat in only a few months, even water seems to leave permanent stains and the carpet is severely worn. I wish the Premium trim offered a more durable fabric and carpet; we'd pay for it. We noticed that the '10 fabric patterns have a "pre-stained" look, but it won't help the low-buck lack of durability.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Subaru cut some corners on interior materials to keep the vehicle price competitive- which is understandable since we get a great AWD system, and safety features out the wazoo for a price similar to many 2WD sedans.
I think this statement hits the nail right on the head. When I was vehicle shopping this time around I looked at several choices. It, for me, was between the FOZ XT Limited and the Acura RDX. Putting down the same $$ the monthly payment was almost double, not quite. So for lets say $250 per mo X 36 months, was $9000 worth better carpet, nav and interior quality.......not for me. I rarely keep a vehicle past 4 years, 5 at most. I can understand if someone is keeping a ride for 10 years or more then maybe it is worth it but I still say NO. I love my FOZ and enjoy driving it every day. Don't sweat the little things!

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Honestly, it's a car; why do you need a nice carpet in a vehicle that you drive around in? It's not like you sit in your Forester with some friends, walk around , and enjoy a cup of tea : D At least if you get the poor-quality carpet (I do agree that it's bad) sirty or something, it's not AS big of a deas!

My $0.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honestly, it's a car; why do you need a nice carpet in a vehicle that you drive around in? ...
You make a good point, but my wife and I are motorheads, giving our vehicles the best of care, having a sense of pride in them and keeping them for a decade or more. We've just never owned anything that has worn out so quickly.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
My '09 XT's carpet and for that matter the interior is really cheap. The sandpaper in my garage has more of a deep pile to it than the carpet. I have always disliked the seats in the Foresters as well. I have noticed it is easy to clean, but then again, so is tile flooring.

This thread however may lead to after market products??? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,063 Posts
It's fine for a $20k vehicle...

Clearly, Subaru skimped on some of the interior materials in the 2009 to get the price down while adding VDC, 4 wheel disc brakes, etc.

In my 2009 FX, which is a pure stripper that is a $20k utility vehicle, the trim is reasonable. If you try to perceive it as a $27-30k luxury vehicle, it is definitely lacking if you worry about such things. (My previous car was a '98 Acura 2.5TL, which was trimmed out much nicer, but I hated the fake photo wood crap.)

George

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5MT
61 Posts
Salt

I agree about the carpet. My brother has a WRX with dark interior and he has awful salt stains that won't come out - seems to be worse on the cheap carpet than on other vehicles.

I ended up tucking and taping some heavy duty plastic lining into the footwells to prevent this - will remove after winter.

I love the Forester, however as one poster stated, you look after it and still it doesn't hold up. I worry about the interior plastics (they seem to scratch easily - who's bright idea was it to make the interior door grabs fake aluminum?) and the paint (I always try to look after the paint on my vehicles but there's only so much you can do). Time will tell. But for the price, it's hardly surprising.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
One other comment, at what price point is considered acceptable for what is underneath the skin of Subaru? For 27-30K for a XT Forester model, is it fair to expect competitive interiors as other makes? I believe so.

When I look at a Hyundia Elantra Touring the interior and accessories which are included are great. And though their warranty has its limitations it still remains very competitive.

Please understand I know they are two different cars, but if Subaru is truly going to be successful beyond us loyalists and allow those individuals who sell Subies to be successful as well, Subaru must get up to speed on first impressions when that car door is open by those who have never seen a Subaru before.

Subaru can't ride the wave of repeat buyers forever. I am getting older..far too fast.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,063 Posts
One other comment, at what price point is considered acceptable for what is underneath the skin of Subaru? For 27-30K for a XT Forester model, is it fair to expect competitive interiors as other makes? I believe so.

When I look at a Hyundia Elantra Touring the interior and accessories which are included are great. And though their warranty has its limitations it still remains very competitive.

Please understand I know they are two different cars, but if Subaru is truly going to be successful beyond us loyalists and allow those individuals who sell Subies to be successful as well, Subaru must get up to speed on first impressions when that car door is open by those who have never seen a Subaru before.

Subaru can't ride the wave of repeat buyers forever. I am getting older..far too fast.
I would never compare any Korean vehicle to a Subaru and would never buy a Korean vehicle. I admit this is my personal bias, but Korean labor still comes a heck of a lot cheaper than Japanese or American labor.

Have you noticed that Subaru has been setting sales records ever since the new Forester came out? Have you noticed that it is the top rated and recommended small SUV by Consumer Reports? Did you notice the SUV award of the year from Motor Trend last year? These sales and awards come despite the carpeting...

It is NOT repeat buyers that are helping Subaru set these sales records, and Subaru is gaining, not losing, sales momentum.

George

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The forester is designed for utility, not to be plush. The outback is the "classy" model. I think the carpet in my 04 Xt is perfect, holds up well to throwing junk in the back, and doesn't get ruined by all the salty snow everyone brings into the car during the winter.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Meh. I never noticed.

Should maybe merge this thread with the pet peeves thread.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I'm thinking you're gonna really be unhappy when you start tracking water and oil from the blown head gasket all over the cheap carpeting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm thinking you're gonna really be unhappy when you start tracking water and oil from the blown head gasket all over the cheap carpeting.
Maybe a special trim package should be offered for that. <g> It would have been a sound investment with our '04.

·
Registered
09 Forester XT
52 Posts
I would never compare any Korean vehicle to a Subaru and would never buy a Korean vehicle. I admit this is my personal bias, but Korean labor still comes a heck of a lot cheaper than Japanese or American labor.

Have you noticed that Subaru has been setting sales records ever since the new Forester came out? Have you noticed that it is the top rated and recommended small SUV by Consumer Reports? Did you notice the SUV award of the year from Motor Trend last year? These sales and awards come despite the carpeting...

It is NOT repeat buyers that are helping Subaru set these sales records, and Subaru is gaining, not losing, sales momentum.

George
George, thanks for the feedback. I have noticed that Subaru is setting sales records in addition to showing a profit. I have also noticed that Subaru is slipping in quality i.e. WRX which was NOT recommed in Consumer Reports and in a recent report just published by JD Powers Subaru didn't look favorable with the Forester.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I want Subaru to be successful. You know that old saying the "Devil is in the Details" I just don't want Subaru to forget that.

The sales increase in Subies we are seeing may be in part of the favorable car mag reviews, wild snow storms, World Ralley recognition and back to back SUV's of the year e.g. Forester and Outback. Not to mention a great reputation for quality and durability. SOA knows this and I guess, I just want new buyers to know what we know about the cars under the skin. If an upgraded interior helps new buyers get behind the wheel of the Subie brand I think that will only help with the momentum.

Let's not forget the Forester commercial where the father gives his son the old Forester. The carpet in past years was probably of better quality. I know for a fact in previous Subaru's I have owned it was of better quality. Carpet always looks good new and that is all the editors see. Other than the few who do long-term tests. I will let you know in ten years how my '09 carpet holds up in comparison to the rest of the car.

Respectfully, I disagree about repeat buyers. In addition to my family, there are several families I have spoken to that are repeat buyers. May not be a large percentage, but I am sure it is quantifiable.

For me I am careful about comments such as a Korean car vs. a Japense car etc. Japense labor was for less expensive not so long ago. The cycle of life continues in the car biz.

My original question remains at what price point is acceptable for what might be considered a well-rounded car with a quality interior as one example? I am not sure I know that answer. Perception is different for each of us.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,063 Posts
Well, if you want some REALLY fancy carpeting...

Someone just posted this link on an unrelated forum (guitar based) that I hang on, so I HAVE to post it here. Lambskin carpeting, fit for a queen:

The Queen's Jaguar Daimler For Sale

By the way, my late stepdad used to work in the Cadillac limousine plant (30 years) in Detroit, and personally did interior trim for virtually all the custom ordered limos from the 50's onward, including an annual order of 5 or 6 Cadillacs for Elvis, numerous movie stars, and various royalty around the world. If people wanted mink carpeting, they GOT mink carpeting. Really. Just write the check...

Back to the topic, I have absolutely no doubt that Subaru has a lot of repeat business, but also maintain they could not be setting sales records selling *just* to existing customers. For one, I have always like the idea of Subarus and finally bit the bullet on the '09 Forester because they finally put a back seat into the car. And I have to say I found the price point irresistable--20 grand for a new Foz, available with a stick, and with AWD and the prospect of living to 250k miles.

I like nice carpeting in the living room because I can lay on the floor and stretch or do a little yoga type stuff, and it feels good when I walk on it barefoot. But in a car or utility vehicle, I'd just as soon have rubber mats like I ordered in my '78 Ford pickup or like you can get in a Honda Element. When driving or riding in a car, I am virtually oblivious to what is on the floor. The only time I notice it is when I'm vacuuming the car out.

George

1 - 20 of 31 Posts