Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up a 2009 Forester this weekend. Our last 2 Subarus were a 2001 and 2004, so it's been awhile since I've bought Idemitsu HP ATF. I still have part of a case left from our 2008, but this 2009 has 190K on it and I don't know if it's ever been changed. It's brown and burnt. So I want to do 3 drain and fills.

The best price I've been able to find on Idemitsu is $40 for 6 quarts, from EDO Performance. I think that's the same place I used to get it a few years ago... but does anyone know of a cheaper source than that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, if that's the best I can do I certainly am not going to throw a fit over it. Whenever we get a new Subaru, we immediately spend money on a transmission fluid change, differential fluid, coolant system flush, and usually timing belt, water pump, and tires. Most of the fluids are just things where if I don't know for sure when the last time it was done, I assume it's never been done. I have tons of maintenance records on this car, but they all say "recommended services performed at X number of miles". I know the name and number of the previous owner, and have been thinking about calling her to ask if that 100k "recommended service" included the timing belt. It would be a nice surprise if it did, but at the price we paid, we can sink a lot of money into it and still be under market value.

But still, when you're doing that many things to it, anywhere you can shave off 10 or 20 bucks is a good thing. Every dollar we don't spend on one thing, we're sure as heck going to spend on another at some point.

Whoa! Scratch that! I just went to order, and they want 50 bucks for shipping! What, are they driving it to my house personally? Back to the drawing board... think I already found something cheaper on EBay, but I have to figure out why it says "TPF" rather than "ATF".

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
There are online retailers and distributors listed on the link I gave you including direct from the manufacture through Amazon.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was trying to find lower prices than direct-from-manufacturer. We did wind up finding a case of 12 quarts for just under 70 bucks, shipped. I was happy with that. Great big box showed up on our porch this afternoon, and tomorrow I'll do 2, maybe 3 drain and fills. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
You can use any brand fluid, if you're still in warranty just make sure the oil viscosity matches the operator's manual and that you keep the receipt.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2009 with one previous owner, so it's been out of warranty a long time. And there aren't many manufacturers who make HP transmission fluids suitable for Subarus, so the options are limited.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
530 Posts
@Atomheart Subaru's traditional automatics require Dexron ATF, one of the most common ATFs out there. How did you get the impression that these transmissions take some sort of special fluid? Are you confusing this with the CVTs in the 2014+ Foresters? Because even those CVTs have several fluid options outside the factory fill.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 6-speed manual
177 Posts
@soobcrazy Just as some manufactures specific Dexron, Subaru requires their own ATF, as stated in their Service and Repair manuals, which by the way is carried at Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and NAPA. Plus national auto parts wholesalers like WorldPac.

It's just that simple.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the confusion is caused by the fact that Dexron was a suitable fluid until around 2005, at which time Subaru began recommending a higher-quality HP fluid. Dexron is not recommended for anything from around '05-'06 on (can't recall exact year offhand).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts