Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Everybody,Im New Here. This Is My First Post Actually,I Picked Up A 98 Forester Yesterday For A Beater/Daily Driver When I Cant Drive My Bodydropped Toyota. I Would Like To Lower It, As Much As I Safely Can Actually But I Only Paid $1000 For The Car So I Want To Do It On The Cheap. Ive Read Through Some Posts And Seei Can Use Any Wrx/Sti Struts And Springs Correct? Could I Just Use Wrx Struts With The Fozzy Springs Or Would I Be Better Off Using The Struts And Springs Off A Wrx/Sti? How Much Of A Drop Could I Expect To Get Using Struts And Springs Vs Using Struts W My Stock Springs? And Spring Cutting... I Know Its Frowned Upon, I Know Im Probably Gonna Get Flamed For Even Bringing It Up But Like I Said, This Car Is A Beater So I Honestly Dont Care How It Rides. Has Any One Simply Just Cut A Coil Or So Off A Stock Fozzy Spring? If So, What Kind Of Drop Did That Give You?

I Have To Appologize For My Complete Ignorance When It Comes To Subbys, This Is My First One,And One Of The Only Cars Ive Ever Lowered Without Just Bagging It So The Whole Using Actual Steel Spring Thing Is Kind Of New To Me. Thanks A Lot In Advance For Any Help, And Take It Easy On The New Guy lol

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Premium 5MT
92 Posts
Welcome, and please don't cut your springs. You can find some WRX springs for $0-50 if you look around, or you can pick up a whole strut/spring assembly off a WRX or STi for more money. Befriend the local Subaru crowd, I'm sure lots of them have take off parts collecting dust in their garages. Also, you don't have to capitalize every first letter, it makes for difficult reading.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There Really Isn't A Subaru Crowd Around Here, Its All Jeeps And Lifted Diesel Trucks... How Much Drop Would I Get If I Used Wrx Struts And Springs? How Much With Sti Struts And Springs? I Know The Capital Letter Thing Sucks, I Have No Idea Why My Phone Does That And No Idea How To Make It Not Do That.

And I Know Cutting Springs Is For Hondas, But Hey, Its Better Than Taking A Torch To Them. If Air Struts Werent So Expensive Id Just Bag The Car Considering I Have All The Air Management Laying Around For it.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speeds of Goodness
475 Posts
You're gonna get at least 2.5" depending on the mileage. Mine dropped me about 3" and settled another 1/8" or so. Some clarification on what your budget is could help as well. I mean if you really wanted, you could buy some cheapo ebay coilovers. I personally wouldn't since they will ride like complete crap, but to each their own. I've seen some as low as $200.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3" Would Be Good Enough,I Have The Toyota When I Wanna Be Stupid Low. Are Those Wrx Or Sti Struts/Springs? I Really Don't Want To Spend Any More Than 200 Or So. I'm Going To Start Calling Junk Yards Around The Area And See What I Can Find.

·
Registered
98 Forester 5 speed
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I TYPE IN ALL CAPS. I Really Have No Idea Why My Phone Capitalizes The First Letter Of Every Word. It Does That When I Email People Too.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5 Speeds of Goodness
475 Posts
You can get 04-07 WRX or 04 STi struts and springs that will straight bolt and replace. You can also use 02-03 WRX struts and springs with some spacer or something. If you look through the suspension section you will find the answer. I paid about 400 for my set, but they also had less than 15,000 miles on them so yeah.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts