Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5mt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I found these cheap remanufactured A-1 Cardone 4/2 pot calipers for the 06/07 WRX. I am contemplating a brake upgrade for my FXT, and these prices even with the core charge seem really reasonable. The fronts are $151.60 each and the rears are $106.15 each, but I am not so sure about the quality of the calipers.
What do you guys think?

Front Left

Front Right

Rear Left

Rear Right

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
I've come across this sort of thing before and it's because they are buying up used calipers and then stripping, refinishing and fitting new service parts without any brand logo that allows them to do this at a more reasonable price. You might end up with a similar product, less the blasting and re painting, were you to do this yourself of get your local mechanic to do it for you. I expect they are up to standard but I'm not up on the laws in your region for this sort of thing. I'm sure many guys wouldn't touch them with a long pole but when you consider that many expensive branded parts come from the the same manufacturer as the less costly alternatives, certain 'scams' become visible. Just because it says Subaru on it doesn't mean they made it, in fact it's highly unlikely as many of the components are made or sourced out of house and just the packaging/casing has the Subaru logo on it, a lot of the electrical/electronic parts come from Nissan. Common practice all round. These remanufactured calipers represent a substantial saving over new OEM items but check the small print to make sure that they aren't an "exchange" item.

If all is good and you go ahead, do post up your findings and I'm sure there are plenty of US owners who would be interested.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5mt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! If I can scrape up enough $$ to make it work, I will let everyone know my results!

·
Registered
2016 WRX MT 6MT
95 Posts
I installed front and rear 2006 WRX calipers on my '05 FXT; last spring. In fact, I posted the vids on Youtube of repainting(didnt want red) and doing a rear install. They are remanufactured by Centric, found them on the Centric's website which led me to TireRack as a retailer.
They are excellent.. all new components, powder coated and pre-loaded with brake pads.
Youtube link is Installing Subaru 2 Pot Rear Calipers on a Subaru Forester XT - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
A-1 Cardone is a well known and respected re-manufacturing co. in the U.S. I sold their parts for many years with NO failures on brake calipers. I had a few leaky M.C., but no calipers. Feel assured that these are good parts.

·
Registered
2010 XT Automatic
237 Posts
Damn the fronts are now listed at $76.60 and the rears at $51.15. That seems like a HELL of a deal. When the 2010 needs new breaks this will be the route that I'm going!

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 5mt
331 Posts
Rockauto is listing them too for about the same price on the stripped ones. I searched 2006 WRX, they also have the Brembo branded and Subaru branded ones also at higher prices of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts