Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Automatic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not going to lie just looking for a cheap set up, because honestly I like the sound alone. Call me stupid, call me a moron just grown to like the sound but don't want to buy the wrong thing, I see these N1 mufflers advertised a lot but what's really worth getting my budget right now is $200 but it might go up as I am saving money slowly realizing my 2001 Forester S is going to need some routine maintenance, it has 154542 miles, brand new cat, new head gaskets, new brakes, new alternator, and underbody has been sprayed up nicely, no rust whatsoever, no rot anywhere and brand new hankook optimo tires, rides great but as usual check engine light is on, vacuum leak somewhere in gas system, no clue don't care will be fixed promptly, car is under a local warranty. But those are the details almost forgot to put them in, any answer would be appreciated, please don't be negative, thank you.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
why not just cut your muffler open and tear the insides out, or put some washers before your muffler instead of a regular muffler gasket?

·
Registered
2004 2.5xs dont know how to drive auto
182 Posts
Buy or find someone who is throwing away a wrx or Sti cat back. Now your going to have to get that extended by 3 inch and welded on. But you get a cheap and abetter sounding exhaust system!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would say either a custom welded job with a Magnaflow muffler or a used WRX/STI cat back that will need the extension and flange rotation to fit. Add in an inexpensive UEL header at the same time or a bit down the road to get more of the rumble you are looking for.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Search "hogzaust"... hey, it's free. :biggrin:

G

·
I'm running a 1mm washer between my midpipe and axleback right now. 39 cents and 5 minutes to install. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S 5spd MT
550 Posts
straight pipe axle back > midpipe dump IMHO. Great setup would be uel headers with axle back straight pipe or a magnaflow axle back. I've never used a magnaflow, but I know many people using their mufflers with great sounding exhausts.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Yeah, the washer thing is about the dumbest thing I've heard all weekend... Don't do this, please. Especially since an exhaust leak isn't something you should be trying to create....

Just have an exhaust shop make you something. Cheap, easy, and doesn't break something in the process.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Auto
13 Posts
Thread jack: my 02 Wrx exhaust has been hanging in the shed for three years. I can just put longer tips on it instead of custom welding extensions?

G

·
Yeah, the washer thing is about the dumbest thing I've heard all weekend... Don't do this, please. Especially since an exhaust leak isn't something you should be trying to create....

Just have an exhaust shop make you something. Cheap, easy, and doesn't break something in the process.
Sorry I don't have loads of money. The local fabrication shop is $100/hr. Exhaust shop is the best option unless you literally need DIRT cheap. $200 should get you a good muffler welded on.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Auto
13 Posts
Gotcha, thanks.

I know my wrx's , but this is a learning curve.
I'm glad this group is nice and helpful...CHEERS!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts