Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this car for sale with a hole in the block, I picked it up for only $200. It's a 5 speed 2005. I had a motor from a car I parted out, which I was intending to put into my project beetle I have. But I would rather have this forester as a daily driver.

Here it is from the ad

Had to swap the intake manifold and other misc items from this motor to my other one since this one is DBW and other is DBC

Also did timing/water pump, motor mounts, new seals, new clutch/flywheel, plugs and wires, fuel lines, fuel injector seals, etc while the motor is on the stand. The heads were already done on this motor, and so was the timing but since it was out I did the timing again.

Took off all the rocker trims, fender liners, and rear bumper to clean the dirt out from behind them. Luckily this car is very solid despite all this dirt.

Polished the headlights

Monday I'll be pulling the blown motor and doing a scrub down of the engine bay and subrame. And the car needs a good buffing as well.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS 5MT
652 Posts
Awesome!! Be like Car Cleaning Guru on youtube and video the engine bay scrub, makes for great Sunday stuck-in-cuz-snow watching!!

·
Registered
2013 Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a hard enough time taking pictures lol definitely wouldn't be able to do videos.

Got the other motor in and cleaned up the engine bay. Mixed up the feed and return lines.

The aftermarket motor mounts were junk and broke on install so I had then reuse the originals. Will get OEM replacement next time.

Motor not getting spark but getting fuel now

·
Registered
2013 Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no spark, not sure what is wrong. Getting power to the coil's 4 pin connector and I cleaned all the grounds but it's still not getting spark with the new coil.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,366 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@2.5x_sleeper I found in another post off another site that the crank sprockets are different. I checked and they are very different visually. I'll.post a pic in a couple days when I work on it again!

·
Registered
2013 Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I found out online these sprockets are different. I wish I had thought of this possibility before installing the motor so I could have done this while I did the timing the first time.

The 2004 is left and the 2005 is right

Also ordered this offline from the dealer. I had some trouble finding it, it's the shift lever tunnel boot for the manual transmission. Picture of part number for others in need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts