Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been searching for this and i assumed there would be a lot of threads referring to tires for a 2009 forester but i haven't been able to find any. I am getting ready to swap out the tires on my 2009 forester and would like something bigger if possible to give me a little more clearance. I dont know if this is possible (a friend told me this would mess up the shifting on the auto transmission). He recommended I get 16 inch rims to replace the 17 inch rims and that would give me more rubber off road and make it more comfortable (although the clearance would be the same). My question is mainly: is this correct that increasing the tire diameter would mess up the shifting? What recommendations do you have for me if i want a little more clearance/more aggressive tread for my newish subie.

Thanks in advance

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
If all 4 tires are the same size I can't see how it would damage your auto trans.
Your speedo would be off. Some have put bigger tires on an 09 but just to gain a few mm.
I have made my stock 17's my winter tire and my new summer tires will be on 16's.
Yokohama geolanders AT/S. The size is the same od as 17's
215/65R16 = 225/55R17

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking into this tire:
Firestone Destination A/T
with 15 inch rims. What do you think? This tire gets great reviews from everyone but i would have to get 15 inch rims. Any downside to that?
I would get the 205/75/r15 which is about the same (a tiny bit more) than the originals

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,866 Posts
If you're not concerned with the accuracy of your speedometer, you can go as big as you want to, assuming it will fit. Go here, plug in your stock tire/wheel/offset on one side & what you want to go to on the other side. Read the data to see what will fit. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,866 Posts
I am looking into this tire:
Firestone Destination A/T
with 15 inch rims. What do you think? This tire gets great reviews from everyone but i would have to get 15 inch rims. Any downside to that?
I would get the 205/75/r15 which is about the same (a tiny bit more) than the originals
Nothing wrong with 15" wheels, if it will clear your brakes. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,866 Posts
So how do i know what offset to get for the 15" rims? What is the stock offset?
I don't know for sure, but I don't think a 15" wheel will clear your front brakes.

Unless the offset changed in '09, your stock wheels are +48. :wink:

Bobby..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts