Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in my introduction, I don't have a Subaru Forrester just yet. My wife and I are considering a purchase of a 2010 Forrester (Premium) in the next day or so. One issue that was brought to my attention was that if one tire went flat ... or needed to be replaced, I would have to replace all five at the same time. Is this just a myth? Or is it true?

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you,
Subarao

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
We just went through a single tire replacement. We called the Tirerack and had them shave a brand new identical tire down to 7/32. Installed it and never looked back. It cost us an additional $25.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,397 Posts
Replace them or buy another one and have it shaved down to the right size.

Considering the cost of another wheel that would need to be rotated into the rotation + the TPS you are talking some decent money.

I opted to buy another steel wheel without TPS. I then bought a used tire (in excellent condition) It is close enough to the other 4 that I can use it as a spare till the other tire gets fixed.

If the spare would not be the correct size, you just install a fuse temporarily to make it FWD. Takes about a minute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info everyone. That's great to see so many of you active here.

Shaving a tire - wow - I had never heard of such a thing! Does Subaru itself do this? Or is it a third party place like PepBoys who would indulge in this service?

Subarao

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts

Shaving a tire - wow - I had never heard of such a thing! Does Subaru itself do this? Or is it a third party place like PepBoys who would indulge in this service?

Subarao
The Tirerack shaved and sold us the replacement tire. Does our forum sponsor Direct Tire have the same service? I would suspect they do too.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
372 Posts

Subarao
People usually have tires shaved for use at an autocross, etc. when they want improve performance. Works out well for us AWD people too. Tirerack would be a safe bet for this.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
28 Posts
Hey, I never knew about the tire shaving! Glad I followed up on your technical thread, Subarao.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,397 Posts
Would a full sized spare fit in the space where the donut spare is? (2010 model)
Wait for someone more knowledgeable. But I have heard that it does. In my 2008 you remove the Styrofoam compartment that acts as a spacer between the floor and the tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts