Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
there use to be some one doing this on a wrx or something. it involved a couple strips of sandpaper. ill see if i can find it

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
I gave it a try on my MY05 XT and wasn't able to get the green gone. It was either extremely thick, or it's now made from green plastic

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
even with a fresh bottle of nail polish remover? might have to get a stronger paint remover

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Red illumination may be an acquired taste and if you haven't driven a car with red lighting do so before modding. Our other car has red illumination and I find it makes reading the dials at night harder. I really have to look at it. Green or white illumination seems to be easier to read at a glance. YMMV.

-- Steve

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
sahunt said:
Red illumination may be an acquired taste and if you haven't driven a car with red lighting do so before modding. Our other car has red illumination and I find it makes reading the dials at night harder. I really have to look at it. Green or white illumination seems to be easier to read at a glance. YMMV.

-- Steve
/\

W3RD

I personally would go with a whitish/blue like on the GT.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hondaslayer said:
/\

W3RD

I personally would go with a whitish/blue like on the GT.
Yeah, I really like the blue on the GT...maybe go for that. I used to have a crappy '91 eclipse that had the red dash light so I was fine w/ that. Just trying to get something different going for my lighting. thanks for the input guys.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
^^^ same here... I had a 94 Eclipse and for some reason always liked the amber illumination. It's easier on my night vision, I think. The green dash lights in the Subie are horrid IMHO, but I'm not ambitious enough to change them...

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pleiad7 said:
^^^ same here... I had a 94 Eclipse and for some reason always liked the amber illumination. It's easier on my night vision, I think. The green dash lights in the Subie are horrid IMHO, but I'm not ambitious enough to change them...
Yeah, maybe one day I will post some pics of my new red or blue illuminated dash:wink:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Personally I'd prefer the amber illumination.. just because it's alot easier on the eyes and looks 10 times better than any color out there. From what I understand there are two basic ways to remove the green film/paint type layer on the back of the cluster, 1. Fine grit sandpaper and 2. Nailpolish remover, from what I understand, you have to take your time if you want a decent, even result.. have fun!

I was going to do this and actually buy a used gauge cluster from a person selling it on the board (40 shipped) but opted out due to lack of time

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
yea time is a factor ive done this before on a past car talk about elbow grease

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
Amber or white is best - blue is worst.
I simply painted my bulbs with red glass paint (Vitrea 160, available at craft stores). The result is red, but significantly less bright. The digital LCD displays (clock, odo, temp) did not take so well to the red bulbs and are too dim to be visible with all but the brightest setting.
I also hit the hi-beam indicator with blue glass paint - no more blinding blue!:Banane49:
I also applied some dark window tint to the shift indicator lights (they are way too bright). It was tricky, but I slipped it between the printed and lighted layers. That was the best mod for me.
Once the weather warms up, I'll do some more tinkering with lighting - it's almost a fetish of mine.

·
Registered
2007 Forester LMT XT Manual
43 Posts
I really want someone to post a tutorial of this being done on an FXT, I'm thinking I'd go with the SpecB colour

1 - 20 of 25 Posts