Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching out my suspension to 06 wrx struts and 05 sti springs with 1/2" saggy butt spacers (also using the longer top hat studs) and then getting my alignment set to -1.0/-1.5 F/R.

Now.. I'm thinking about picking up stock 06 wrx rims (17x7 +55 offset) and puttin on Continental ExtremeContact DW's in 235/50/17 size. I've used the tire calculator and from what it says, all should be fine with the exception of a 0.3% speed difference and a few mm changes here and there.

Questions are - will i have any rubbing issues? With or without people in the car/loaded cargo space? Will the tire size fill up the gaps, if any, nicely? Is the tire size I'm considering too wide or too thin for the wheels I'm getting?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
You should be fine. 235s seem a little wide for a 7inch wheel, but that's just my preference.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i guess a 225 would be more optimal then?

would i be able to get away with a 225/55/17? or is the 55 gonna start rubbin?
i think that would make the tire .6" taller than stock.. i just want to fill the wheel well gap as much as possible without any rubbing issues

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts

Here's a pic of me running 215/60/17, on STI wheels (17x7.5), on STI pinks.

You should be fine with 225/55 (which is shorter than my 215/60s), but you'd be lower than me, but I don't think you'd have a problem.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I have run 225/55 17's on stock suspension and forester specific pinks. I have a 7.5 rim. I think by going to the wrx suspension, you should probably be looking at similar sized tires for that car. Probably a 225/50 or even 45 sized tire. I installed a wrx wagon suspesnion on a forester and that guy was running 225/45 on jdm sti rims.

Someone with more experience on that suspension will hopefully chime in, but I think the 55 on that lowered suspension will rub something.

Here's a pic of me running 215/60/17, on STI wheels (17x7.5), on STI pinks.

You should be fine with 225/55 (which is shorter than my 215/60s), but you'd be lower than me, but I don't think you'd have a problem.
The sti pinks you're running are forester specific? The wrx suspension will drop it another inch and then he's going to put pinks on those which may drop even more.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have run 225/55 17's on stock suspension and forester specific pinks. I have a 7.5 rim. I think by going to the wrx suspension, you should probably be looking at similar sized tires for that car. Probably a 225/50 or even 45 sized tire. I installed a wrx wagon suspesnion on a forester and that guy was running 225/45 on jdm sti rims.

Someone with more experience on that suspension will hopefully chime in, but I think the 55 on that lowered suspension will rub something.

The sti pinks you're running are forester specific? The wrx suspension will drop it another inch and then he's going to put pinks on those which may drop even more.
ok.. so ill be lookin at 225/50/17's

and for the record im using just stock STi springs.. not pinks
..so, stock wrx struts with stock STi springs and 1/2" rear spacers

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
^^Gotcha, why not just go for the sti struts then? Seems to me it would be a better match?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^Gotcha, why not just go for the sti struts then? Seems to me it would be a better match?
cause a local guy had 06 wrx struts with 20k miles and 05 sti springs with 30k miles.. got everything for $100! so, a great deal i couldnt pass on.. plus, i figure once the wrx struts go out.. ill put some Koni inserts in

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Hmm, you should be fine for clearance with the 225's.
You could still run the 235 despite the rim width not being the most optimal, but I'd suggest a 5mm spacer front and rear so they fit more flush with the fenders and provide ample strut clearance.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
I have 06 WRX rims and I am on Swifts. Due to the +55 offset, even 215 width tires will be very close to the strut (depends on the tire and your alignment). 225 tires will likely require at least a 3mm spacer if not a 5mm spacer to avoid rubbing. I wouldn't try to do 235s.

I like the look (and price) of the wheels but in the future I am definitely going with something with a lower offset.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
^ but since he's on WRX struts he should be able to fit whatever size tire the WRX guys are fitting on their stock rims.
Either way I'd still want to run 5mm spacers so the rims look more Forester appropriate. OEM offset STi wheels always seem to look too sunken into the wheel well for my taste, but making them an et50 with a 5mm spacer seems to cure that for my liking.

this is merely personal preference... not necessarily suggested use though

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
hmmmm... makin me reconsider now haha

didnt think that +55 offset would be that much of an issue

but then again.. i dont know jack about rims n tires, hence, this thread

·
Registered
2FXT Forester XT Limiteds 20104EAT 20044EAT
174 Posts
I have +55 WRX 7"X17" Rims

I just installed WRX 7"X17" ET55 rims on my 04 FXT with 215/55R/17 Conti Extreme Contact DWS hoops and I needed to use a 3mm spacer to have a 4-5mm clearance between rear coil and inside tire wall. I tried a Michelin Pilot 225/50/17 but too close with the spacer to suit me.

I seem to think that the Pinks will be too close so I will take a Pasadena on them.

Rob

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
I run 235/50-17 on a ET53 and it rubbed. Had to use a 5mm spacer in the rear. Granted I'm on Swifts with OEM struts, which is different than your setup, but I wouldn't take the chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts