Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Forester
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done brake jobs on a Chevy S-10 , Buick Century , Ford Van , and a Saturn . Is the Forester any different ? I usually put new rotors on when I do the brakes ...........

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Here's a very nice "How To" video, courtesy of Blue Fox.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Always replace brake rotors with top quality or OEM (original equipment manufacturer) brake rotors, some less expensive brake rotors can squeak and not dissipate heat as well because of their inferior metal quality.
Sorry but that is untrue. I've never seen a rotor (that not all rusted to heck) be the source of squealing, its the pads that do the squealing.

I run my Forester on the track frequently and use the cheap Chinese rotors with full race pads and they work perfectly well in extremely high temperature situations that you will never ever in a million years see on the street. I have not noticed any difference whatsoever between these cheap rotors and the much more expensive OEM parts. They all seem to wear out at the same rate and perform the same as well. I've proven this with set after set after set.

There is no good reason to spend a ton of money on rotors, a reasonble priced set will do just fine. If anythign, the rotors you want to stick away from are the slotted or cross-drilled versions. Unless you know they are build properly , quite often its some guy in the back just drilling a bunch of holes in cheap blanks then marking up the price 100% and selling them as "high performance rotors" . These rotors will have reduced heat dissapation due to the missing metal and quite often crack if not break at the holes/slots because they aren't properly chamfered.

·
Registered
19 Posts
98 Forester rear brakes

Do they all have disc or some of them have drums? I thought they were all disc all around. This is a 98 L..... I ask this because the car isnt in front of me yet.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Do they all have disc or some of them have drums? I thought they were all disc all around. This is a 98 L..... I ask this because the car isnt in front of me yet.
My wife's 98 L (base model with dark plastic lower trim) was rear drums.
Subaru Forester Archives: options and prices, Seattle

Brakes:
Forester: front disc, rear drum, non-ABS
Forester L model - front disc and rear drum, 4 channel ABS.
Forester S model - front and rear disc 4 channel ABS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts