Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lot of us already know, one has to be real careful to avoid dumping oil all over the exhaust pipes that surround the oil filter. Also, I don't want to remove the exhaust shields every time I replace the filter because it's another pain in the neck. Through trial and error, this is what i found that works for me:

1. I drain the oil as usual (always wear non-latex gloves), and then reinstall the plug with a new washer.
2. I take a 16" (or so) piece of aluminum foil, fold it over itself to form a cylinder that is just wide enough to move up through the whole in the center of the shields between the pipes, and then open-up the cylinder and cover the shields' top surface and sides (sides facing the hole in the middle) with the aluminum foil.
3. Slowly spin the still hot oil filter CCW a few threads, just enough to let the oil drain out, and leave it there cooling off.
4. Fifteen to thirty minutes later i come back and carefully spin the filter off, making sure that it stays perfectly level to avoid getting oil all over my gloves and arms.
4. Once I have installed the new filter, I remove the aluminum foil with my clean hands.

If done right, the aluminum foil will prevent any oil from splashing on the heat shields and pipes.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but another thought is to use an awl to punch a hole in the oil filter and let it drain before removal.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
I do the punch a hole in the filter thing, it drains the filter, but the oil between the top of the filter and the engine block is still there and makes a mess just the same. I have a 2 liter bottle that I have cut the top and bottom off of and I slip this up to the block and then unscrew the filter, end up with a little oil on me, but whats new, but it keeps it off the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I also like the paper cup approach.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I found if you unscrew the filter slowly until it just starts leaking about a cup-a-minute, it will not get oil into the heat shields or on the primary O2 sensor, it just runs down the sides of the filter can. Punching a hole in the filter wont do much since the ADBV will prevent oil in the main galleries from backfilling into the filter can (unless its leaky/defective).

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
I really wish the 'techs' at Delaney Subaru would be more careful with the oil spillage on my car. They've done two of my three oil changes and it has taken two weeks and over 500 miles both times for the oil to completely burn out of the heat shields. Nice cloud of smoke the first couple of days too.

I'll be doing my own 90% of the time from now on.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't tried it yet, but another thought is to use an awl to punch a hole in the oil filter and let it drain before removal.
That sounds like an excellent idea as long as the oil doesn't splash on the heat shields. I am going to give it a try one of these days.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not really a good idea. It wont empty the engine due to the anti-drainback valve - all the oil in the galleries will still spill out all over the place. The oil is already contained in the filter - why do you need to drain it out? I agree the subaru "tech" at the dealer make a mess - I kept my O2 sensor spotless and the tech mucked-it it up when I let them do the last OC.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
This is what I do and it works great as long as you: 1. get the filter loose enough to hand turn before punching the hole, 2. Let it drain out the punch hole until its barely dribbling, 3. *slowly* turn it until oil starts running down the sides then stop turning and let it dribble until it is almost done-- this is not oil in the filter this is oil that was held above the filter in the pump and galleries.

This procedure so far has prevented any oil from getting on the heat shields.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I do and it works great as long as you: 1. get the filter loose enough to hand turn before punching the hole, 2. Let it drain out the punch hole until its barely dribbling, 3. *slowly* turn it until oil starts running down the sides then stop turning and let it dribble until it is almost done-- this is not oil in the filter this is oil that was held above the filter in the pump and galleries.

This procedure so far has prevented any oil from getting on the heat shields.
That's exactly what I have done, but there always is the chance of dropping some oil on the shields regardless of how careful one can be. That's why I use aluminum foil, and so far I haven't gotten any oil on the shields.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Great thread. I was wondering how to keep the next oil change a bit cleaner.

I wrap cotton rags over the pipes around the filter. Any splash is absorbed by the cotton rags.

·
Registered
2015 Forester premium
63 Posts
oil on exhaust smell

I really wish the 'techs' at Delaney Subaru would be more careful with the oil spillage on my car. They've done two of my three oil changes and it has taken two weeks and over 500 miles both times for the oil to completely burn out of the heat shields. Nice cloud of smoke the first couple of days too.

I'll be doing my own 90% of the time from now on.

Same here. My dealer did oc 1 and 3, I did 2nd using aluminum foil like in this thread. Forester had very little oil on exhaust smell on the oc I did, but the dealer's oc had the car smoking so bad on the way home that I pulled over to check for fire.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same here. My dealer did oc 1 and 3, I did 2nd using aluminum foil like in this thread. Forester had very little oil on exhaust smell on the oc I did, but the dealer's oc had the car smoking so bad on the way home that I pulled over to check for fire.
Good idea to stop, because oil on the exhaust pipes that close to the motor can ignite. Aluminum foil is a good idea because the heat from the pipes won't be a problem. I would not use plastic, however :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great thread. I was wondering how to keep the next oil change a bit cleaner.

I wrap cotton rags over the pipes around the filter. Any splash is absorbed by the cotton rags.
Rags won't stop oil from reaching the pipes. Just a little bit of oil on the pipes, even traces of it after wiping it down with a rag, will smoke once the pipes get hot.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I found if you unscrew the filter slowly until it just starts leaking about a cup-a-minute, it will not get oil into the heat shields or on the primary O2 sensor, it just runs down the sides of the filter can. Punching a hole in the filter wont do much since the ADBV will prevent oil in the main galleries from backfilling into the filter can (unless its leaky/defective)
Stupid me - punching a hole WILL work BC the oil will drain into the filter can and out the punched hole - since the oil filter outlet (center hole) feeds the engine main galleries. The ADBV doesnt come into play; Sorry! I Should know better.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I dont know if I'm just careful, but when I unscrew the filter (partially) and let it drain into the drip pan slowly - I dont get oil on the HS at all. My 1st OC I did all this foil and rags and stuff expecting the worse - but all I did was get frustrated with all this foil an rags in the way. I Dont need 'em on a 09 NA.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
I really wish the 'techs' at Delaney Subaru would be more careful with the oil spillage on my car. They've done two of my three oil changes and it has taken two weeks and over 500 miles both times for the oil to completely burn out of the heat shields. Nice cloud of smoke the first couple of days too. I'll be doing my own 90% of the time from now on.
Whenever my dealer does one of the free oil changes he gave me, I ramp the car, clean up after him, write a letter of complaint, note the complaint on the follow up survey that SOA sends me, and listen to the dealer's apology. Fortunately the free oil changes are over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts