Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a jug of Subaru Coolant as well as the little bottle of treatment. I am also going to install my Grimmspeed 160 deg. Thermostat. Is there anything I should know before I do this. Thank you in advance Party People.
:rock:

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Check you hoses and t-stat housing for leaks before the job and buy new stuff if necessary. I have a plastic housing and that crap leaks like a mofo. I just changed my coolant 10k miles ago but now I have to change it again because the leak got worse after my last drain and refill. Oh and since you changing the t-stat, loosen the lower hose with the drip pan underneath it and let it drain out from there. Open up the rad cap and let it totally drain out, then remove the t-stat housing, put the hose back on the housing, put in the new t-stat and replace housing, voila.

And did you get distilled water? Or are you going with another cocktail?

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
I am also going to install my Grimmspeed 160 deg. Thermostat. Is there anything I should know before I do this.
Is this a good idea? It's my understanding the dropping the t-stat from ~195F stock to ~160F would be incompatible with the emissions control system. Additionally, fuel economy will likely suffer...

For example.

:confused:
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Is this a good idea? It's my understanding the dropping the t-stat from ~195F stock to ~160F would be incompatible with the emissions control system. Additionally, fuel economy will likely suffer...

For example.

:confused:
Jim / crewzer
This is what I heard too, which is why I haven't put in a 160 t-stat since I bought it. Good for folks who track often or live in extremely hot climates, but probably not in a DD.

Oh and ill, when you put in the conditioner, shake it really well. And pour in the coolant slowly to prevent bubbles. I had a big one last time but luckily it only bumped up my t-stat for a minute about two miles from my house.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
Totally not necessary, But i upgraded to samco silicone hoses and t-bolt clamps. If using t-bolts...be sure to use caution...they can break plastic....and bend metal..

Be sure you "burp" your system by squeezing rad. hoses while cap is off...you dont want any air in there.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the advice. Ok maybe I'll hold off on the T-stat. It sounded like a great product, but I might have something for sale soon people!!! :)
I'll keep you guys posted :)

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5 X Prem 5MT
465 Posts
Is it best to drain the coolant while the engine is still a little warm? Or should I wait until everything is completely cooled off? How do I make sure all of the OLD coolant is drained? Should the car be on any sort of incline? I was going to get some tubing that would fit over the drain nozzle, or should I just remove the lower hose and do it that way?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts