Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
I need to change one on each REAR side, but I don't have a wrench big enough for that big nut right on the axle. Can I use an adjustable wrench for that or I may brake something? Oh, the reason why this in the Brakes, because the hand-brake mechanism prevents me from just kicking out the lug nuts like I can do on the front wheels, that's why I need to unscrew the big nut, and I don't have a right wrench, and ... ok, you got the idea. :D

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Changing wheel studs on rear wheels

Ok, saga continues. I was able to remove the bad wheel stud (took me some time to get it out from behind after I hammered it out) but now the question is how to put the new one in? I don't think it is possible without removing the big nut from the wheel axel.

And another question: How to change the subject of this thread? I mistakenly typed "lug nuts" when I meant to type "wheel studs".

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
Aleksey said:
And another question: How to change the subject of this thread? I mistakenly typed "lug nuts" when I meant to type "wheel studs".
I tried and all I can seem to change is the title of the post not the whole thread.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Ok, saga continues. I was able to remove the bad wheel stud (took me some time to get it out from behind after I hammered it out) but now the question is how to put the new one in? I don't think it is possible without removing the big nut from the wheel axel.

I have't done this myself, I found this though:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525394

I changed it for you, I guess only Mods can do that.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Peaty. I was thinking about doing what is suggested in the last post of that thread, but hoped that there is an easier way to do it.

Now, have you ever removed than big nut from the spindle (hub bolt?) If I remove it, what should I expect? I thought this will allow me to take off that wheel with lug nut studs, so I easily could intall the new stud and put everything back together. Am I right?

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
No need to remove the axle nut.

If your car has the abs tone wheel attached to the hub just remove it (4-5 allen head bolts), knock the old one out, slide the new one in. Get some washers and put those over the stud until there is sufficient spacing and tighten down the lugnut until the stud presses itself in.

Replace the lugnut after this.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hondaslayer said:
No need to remove the axle nut.
If your car has the abs tone wheel attached to the hub just remove it (4-5 allen head bolts), knock the old one out, slide the new one in. Get some washers and put those over the stud until there is sufficient spacing and tighten down the lugnut until the stud presses itself in.
Replace the lugnut after this.
I guess I will need to try that again. I removed the allen head bolts and shifted the tone wheel around, so eventually I managed to take out the old stud. Inserting the new one, which is longer was quite a PITA, and after ~10 min of trying I temporarily gave up on it and decided asking about the axle nut removal. So, the question that I am looking an answer for is whether or not it will be easier to remove the axle nut and take off the small iron wheel with the studs instead of sliding the new one in. I don't know what to expect after I remove the axle nut, that's why I'm asking.

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
909 Posts
Just be careful back there. My brother and I got anxious and damaged the ABS sensor while changing out a stud. That was an expen$ive error.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts