Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bringing a 2009 XT from the U.S. to Canada... anyway to change the odometer/etc from miles to Kilometers? And change the temp info from F to C?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
either purchase a new dash from a Canadian dealership, and inform your insurance and the province that you've basically reset the odometer to zero... or learn to live with it.

I didn't bother to convert the dash on my imported MY07 FXT when I brought it over. Since the speedometer indicated MPH as well as KMH (smaller though) it passed the RIV inspection. Having grown up so close to the US, I already understand Farenheit better than Celcius anyways.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok

HAHA sounds good... well im from the States now living in Canada and yea the whole Celcius thing is WACK!!!

saving about 9-10k by bring up a U.S. car over canadian car... so stupid!

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
It would appear you are the person that sent me a PM.

In the future please introduce yourself before sending a PM. I do not respond to PMs from people I do not know. Esspecially those with 3 as a post count.

There are dealerships in teh northern parts of the USA that will order a Canadian dash. I was quoted about $500 USD if I purchased the car from that dealership.

or as mentioned above...live with it. It is the price you pay for saving money on the car. Also, be aware of the warranty issues.

Cheers

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... purchase a new dash from a Canadian dealership... .
Could the display be changed from english to metric by a setting inside the instrument? On my wife's 2003 Buick, the display can be toggled back and forth by pushing a button on the dash.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Thanks for everyone input... I guess I'll wait to see what I can do when i take delivery! The warranty thing has me a bit concerned but it comes with a 6year/100k mile warranty so worse case I just get it back down to the dealer if the dealers up in Canada don't work with me.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Could the display be changed from english to metric by a setting inside the instrument? On my wife's 2003 Buick, the display can be toggled back and forth by pushing a button on the dash.
That may be possible for the temperature, but the speedometer cannot be switched like that.
I never bothered to look into that though since I'm already well adjusted to reading in Fahrenheit since I've been watching the news from Buffalo, NY my whole life.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Unfortunately not, my friend and mechanic is a Subaru tech and when the last influx of US models came through (thanks to the strong Canadian dollar), they investigated what would be necessary.
As Subieoutlaw said the instrument pod was about $500. dollars and about $200. for labour (the dash has to come apart) and if I recall properly a speed sensor on the transmission had to be changed if that makes sense. And as Duerotomy mentions having to notify that your odometer readings have been zeroed might scare off buyers when you decide to sell.

I'd suggest contacting Subaru Canada about your warranty, according to my mechanic they have been flexible with some of the US warranty items.(this turned out to be a Dr. who moved up from the states with the new car for his job here.)
Are you waiting for Canadian citizenship? That might have some effect on warranty, but it's just a guessing game at this point.

You may want to update your Profile to indicate a location. Someone local may be able to point you to either a decent Subaru dealer or alternate service options.

Keep us informed
Cheers

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes sense

Thanks for the detailed input Good Dog. I am a U.S. citizen with a Canada Perminant Resident card. So yea the warranty thing might be a toss up however Honda has honored my U.S. 2006 civic's warranty by replacing a bad shock with no questions asked (they new it was a U.S. vehicle). So i guess we will have to wait and see.

I couldn't pass up the deal on a 2009 XT limited with 9,000 miles for $26,000!!!! So I guess i'll live with the risk and Miles instead of KM's :icon_cool:

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
HAHA sounds good... well im from the States now living in Canada and yea the whole Celcius thing is WACK!!!

Zabulon, us Canadians have been screwed(up the poop shoot) price wise for many years. Not just the price of the car either. Noticed the current price of gasoline lately? Here in Regina, the gas just went up to $101.9L:crazy::puke:.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
I thought that the mileage was stored on a computer and not in the Spedo unit...

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could use a GPS or Smartphone w/ GPS in it to just view the speedo if you're really concerned with it. I do this when running my way to small winter tires to get a better idea on my speed.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
This is true, the original mileage is always stored in the computer... but I'm pretty sure that the display ends up operating independant of the ECU.
This is where I think a speed sensor off the transmission comes into play it's part of the conversion, changing just the sensor won't operate the speedo (calibration?) properly, you need the sensor and speedo to match, both in either Miles or Kilometres.

The mechanic who researched this, started March break early, so I'll ask him when he gets back next week for better specifics.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Let's take a different approach: can't mes amis du nord petition their govt. to go back to the English system of measurement? I can recall that President Carter was pushing the metric system here in the States, and one of Reagan's first acts was to drive a stake thru the heart of that changeover! Well I didn't agree w/old Ron on much, but that was a proud moment. Come on back to miles and pounds, guys, before the girl at Tim Horton's can't understand your request for a dozen donuts (excuse me sir...do you mean 10.2 donuts???):biggrin:
Steve
2.5X AT

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
329 Posts

How can you NOT understand Celcius - water freezes at 0 and boils at 100...it's just logical. That's why the entire world - except the U.S. - uses Celcius.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Let's take a different approach: can't mes amis du nord petition their govt. to go back to the English system of measurement? I can recall that President Carter was pushing the metric system here in the States, and one of Reagan's first acts was to drive a stake thru the heart of that changeover! Well I didn't agree w/old Ron on much, but that was a proud moment. Come on back to miles and pounds, guys, before the girl at Tim Horton's can't understand your request for a dozen donuts (excuse me sir...do you mean 10.2 donuts???):biggrin:
Steve
2.5X AT
That would be tough for me. Being old enough to have learned Imperial measurement first then being introduced to the metric system later in school. Compound that by working in a motorcycle shop for some time where everything was metric and some Imperial, I'm a mishmash of measurement. My great nephew has to use a reference chart to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Besides when will the staff in the US coffee shops (with the exception of Tim's invasion plans) ever understand, regular, double-double, triple-double or 4x4(yeecch)? :icon_razz:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
How can you NOT understand Celcius - water freezes at 0 and boils at 100...it's just logical. That's why the entire world - except the U.S. - uses Celcius.
No, no, no...water freezes at 32, boils at 212....how hard is that? Let me tell you, 0 degrees is pretty damn cold, that's block heater cold. When we were vacationing in Ontario last summer, I was impressed w/how high the speed limits were...until I realized they were in K's! I sympathize w/ the OP, I really would have needed bifocals to read the kilometer dial on the speedo. Alright, checking out, think I'll quaff a pint of Labatt's at lunchtime (can you guys get a pint up there, or is it....dunno, .75 liter, .67....):biggrin: Treehugger, you know I'm just pulling your leg, right?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
329 Posts
No, no, no...water freezes at 32, boils at 212....how hard is that? Let me tell you, 0 degrees is pretty damn cold, that's block heater cold. When we were vacationing in Ontario last summer, I was impressed w/how high the speed limits were...until I realized they were in K's! I sympathize w/ the OP, I really would have needed bifocals to read the kilometer dial on the speedo. Alright, checking out, think I'll quaff a pint of Labatt's at lunchtime (can you guys get a pint up there, or is it....dunno, .75 liter, .67....):biggrin: Treehugger, you know I'm just pulling your leg, right?
Steve
09 2.5X AT
When I lived in the U.S. I had to always try to do a conversion to figure out the damn temperature - all I know is I get happier as soon as it hits 75.

MPH is easy though - I never check my speedo anyway - first creaking sound is 80 km/h, shaking at 120 km/h, sirens at 160 km/h....:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts