Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2005 FORESTER X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05' Forester X.Thinking about changing filter and fluid.I will be using NAPA Gold filter.Local parts store has a "secret" half price sale on all Gold filters ,so thats all I've been using in everything.Any recomendations on fluid to use? Figure I'll measure what drains out and just add that amount.Any pros and cons on synthetic or conventianal fluid?The car has almost 68K,kinda early I know but gonna be doing other things to other vehicles so I figure what the heck.Any tips and info appreciated.:icon_question:

· Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,395 Posts
First, fluid volume: check the back page of your owners manual. It will list the amount of oil. Mine takes 4.2 litres. So I buy 5 litres. I fill to half way on the dip stick then and 200 ml at a time. Do not over fill. Take your time.

Second, syn or conventional: Do a search. People have talked this to death. I use Castrol 5W30 dino oil. Cheap and works well. I change my oil every 3 to 4000 km. So it would be a waste of money for me to use synthetic.

Finally, pick up a handful of crush washers from a local Subaru dealership. About $1 each. These get replaced on the drain plug after every change.

I jack mine up to do the oil change. Gives me more room while under there. I also take rags and cover the pipes near the filter. If you get oil on these you get a burning oil smell for a while.

Here is a video to help:

How to Change Your Motor Oil | eHow.com

· Registered
2005 FORESTER X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since new I've used Castrol GTX 5W30 in the engine also.I was asking about the automatic transmission.I'm considering synthetic for transmission.I'm one of those dino users that change oil 4-4500 miles.A 5qt jug of GTX is $12 .Since the transmission fluid will be in there another 5 years I may use it.

· Registered
2005 FORESTER X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's ok.Any help appreciated.I never replace the crusher washers when I change oil.I always check for leaks when I'm done.Is it that important to replace them?
As for the auto trans anyone having experience with Amsoil,Royal purple or any other synthetics please let me know.Thanks.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,709 Posts
I just had mine changed at 22K miles at the dealership & they recommended Red Line as an upgrade. The 4EAT filter wasn't changed, the service advisor said it was considered a permanent filter. :smile:

BTW, the Napa Gold filter is a 1365 or a WIX 51365. :wink:

Bobby...

· Registered
2005 FORESTER X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same filter as engine.Personally I couln't stand the thought of brand new fluid with an old filter with old fluid still in it.But at the sametime I imagine there is a lot of the old fluid that can't be drained.I'll take a look @ Red line.Thanks

· Administrator
43,709 Posts
The servicing was done while my '07 was having some work done in their body shop. Yes, I know what you mean, but it slipped my mind & then it was too late. :frown:

Bobby...

· Premium Member
2022 Forester Limited 2018 Forester XT
16,607 Posts
Same filter as engine.
No its not the same filter. And if you replace it get it from Subaru. A regular engine filter will restrict flow and possibly damage the auto tranny. They are 35 bucks at Subaru.

I would do a couple drain and fills (drain and fills on the tranny.) I do a drain and fill about every 8K miles. I use Subaru ATF. I would suggest replacing the washers every couple changes.

· Administrator
43,709 Posts
No its not the same filter. And if you replace it get it from Subaru. A regular engine filter will restrict flow and possibly damage the auto tranny. They are 35 bucks at Subaru.
Read the Principal Applications of the WIX 51365 filter here. :wink:

Bobby...

· Administrator
43,709 Posts
May I ask why no one uses neoprene (rubber) washers? I have not had issues using them...
I don't know where to get them, or I'd try them. The last time I was looking for washers at NAPA, the only one my size was a fiber type. :frown:

Do you have a part number & where to get them? :confused:

Bobby...

· Premium Member
16,607 Posts
May I ask why no one uses neoprene (rubber) washers? I have not had issues using them...
Frankly they are (to me) more failure prone. If the neoprene fails its likely to have a significant leak. The "Metal-to-metal" aluminum gasket virtually guarantees a very slight leak in the worst case. Problem would arise with the neoprene in the tightening mode you would not be able to determine if you tore or otherwise damaged it.

There is a reason that manufactures use metal gaskets or the other variety is the neoprene/viton in a captured seat built into the plug. Even if the neoprene fails..its still captured in its metal holder.

· Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
4,629 Posts
I don't know where to get them, or I'd try them. The last time I was looking for washers at NAPA, the only one my size was a fiber type. :frown:

Do you have a part number & where to get them? :confused:

Bobby...
Basically I get whatever fits, there is a big drawer full of them at autozone.

Frankly they are (to me) more failure prone. If the neoprene fails its likely to have a significant leak. The "Metal-to-metal" aluminum gasket virtually guarantees a very slight leak in the worst case. Problem would arise with the neoprene in the tightening mode you would not be able to determine if you tore or otherwise damaged it.

There is a reason that manufactures use metal gaskets or the other variety is the neoprene/viton in a captured seat built into the plug. Even if the neoprene fails..its still captured in its metal holder.
Ah, well i can't say I have had any problems over the last lik 7 oil changes using the same one, I prolly should get some new ones/crush washers.

Now that I think of it I don't think the leggy has had a washer at all over the last two years and has never leaked...I should fix that.

· Premium Member
16,607 Posts
Ah, well i can't say I have had any problems over the last lik 7 oil changes using the same one, I prolly should get some new ones/crush washers.
Yea..honestly I would. There is a zero chance that the aluminum will fail even if you use it dozens of times. I think on my 1980 Datsun B-12 I did maybe 60 oil changes and used maybe 3 washers. :D.

And on the subject of tranny filters....there was a discussion on here a while back where an individual put an engine filter on his tranny and it started making noise and the verdict was that it filtered to finely and restricted flow. That's what came back from Subaru as I recall.

Since Wix probably filteres in the same micron range as the Subaru filter its likely that it might not pass enough flow either. Just a guess. :)

· Registered
2002 Forester S
267 Posts
Crush washers are available at NAPA dealers. I bought a whole box of them.

There's plenty of threads here about changing tranny fluid. Use the search function.

· Premium Member
16,607 Posts
Anyone else have any tips and tricks for transmission fluid changing please let me know.Thanks

Loosen the drain plug and drain it out. On the level it will take about 8 ounces short of a gallon. If you put it up on ramps..loosen the plug and drive it off of ramps and then drain it on the level. You can use a new crush washer if you want (same as engine crush washer).

Thats about it. Oh yea use a 98 cent transmission funnel to fill it. Torque for the plug is 18 ft-lb.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts