Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5X AT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still learning about my forester, planning to change transmission fluids and found that the total capacity is around 10 qts., and I can only get about 4 qts.
So I'm curios if oil change suction pump can help to remove more that 4 qts?

And looking for a repair and maintenance manual. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Still learning about my forester, planning to change transmission fluids and found that the total capacity is around 10 qts., and I can only get about 4 qts.
So I'm curios if oil change suction pump can help to remove more that 4 qts?

And looking for a repair and maintenance manual. Any recommendations?
In short, no. You need to understand how an auto tranny works and where all that oil is. Some is in the pan (about a gallon) as you have found out. The rest is in the torque converter. You can't drain the torque converter.

The way most of us do it, is 4 quarts at a time, with about 15 minutes of driving between drains and refills. After 3 or 4 drain/fill cycles, you've gotten out most of the old and replaced it with new. Good enough. If the tranny has more than 100k miles, change the filter as well. If yours has the spin on filter on the side, you'll lose about another 1 to 1.5 quarts when you pull the old one.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,387 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread..

When replacing the tranny filter on an 08 is any special bleeding procedure required??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts