Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2014 forester xt. 107k miles.

i changed the oil last week (pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30), and everything went well. i used a wix filter as well, the one needed for this subaru forester 2014 xt. i always use this oil and filter. however, now when i drive the car, it will rev to 2000rpms, and then downshift with its CVT. It used to be a smooth, seamless downshift, but now it is harsh and the car judders/shudders. it feels like everything is dropping in the car. It does this everytime the rpms change from 2000 to around 1100.

I do not really understand how an oil change could have triggered this. The only thing I can think of trying at the moment is Seafoam. Maybe I will do another oil change with a different oil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,540 Posts
I truly don't think the oil has anything to do with your issue...more of a coincidence. An oil change with a TOP-TIER oil will not cause this issue.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I truly don't think the oil has anything to do with your issue...more of a coincidence. An oil change with a TOP-TIER oil will not cause this issue.
i agree. my head says cvt problem. it literally happened on the first drive after the change though. i guess i will have to think about it for a while.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,819 Posts
i changed the oil last week...i always use this oil and filter.
It sounds like you performed a DIY oil change which you've done before. But if someone else performed this oil change, perhaps they drained the CVT fluid by mistake. Just wanted to rule this out as it is mistake that others on this forum have posted about.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a more concrete update. I got a P0700 and P2762 today on the Cell. I guess the valve body will need to be replaced. Something with the CVT at least.

More to the story: last year I got a letter in the mail saying my specific model car, year, was recalled for this exact reason. Warranty was extended to 100k miles or July 31, 2018. I am just past those two requirements, but if Subaru admitted they made a mistake, and it applies to me, it seems like I should be fine with me hassling them to fix it. I hope. My dealership hates warranty issues.

I am a little used to my Subaru being perpetually “in the shop” but I will be sad if they make me pay for this repair. $4000. My Forester is is only worth $10,000.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
370 Posts
Good luck. You should bring it to the dealership and have them look at it. Subaru was willing to give me a replacement CVT even though I was beyond the warranty. I only paid for the labor.

StanF

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
200 Posts
We think that the original reasons why Subaru extended the CVT warranties on cars before 2016 were lack of a valve body filter, and a bad torque converter bushing. These issues were corrected for 2016 CVT's up, though they extended the warranty on my 2017 also for public confidence. So it makes no sense if you have to pay for a valve body.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck. You should bring it to the dealership and have them look at it. Subaru was willing to give me a replacement CVT even though I was beyond the warranty. I only paid for the labor.

StanF
I think Im going to call SOA and ask them about it, and then call the dealership and see what they say.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We think that the original reasons why Subaru extended the CVT warranties on cars before 2016 were lack of a valve body filter, and a bad torque converter bushing. These issues were corrected for 2016 CVT's up, though they extended the warranty on my 2017 also for public confidence. So it makes no sense if you have to pay for a valve body.
I agree. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,097 Posts
Good luck, bud. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I called SOA this morning, and they said they might be able to do something out of good will aince I am 3 months and 7000 miles past the warranty. I have not been able to get ahold of my dealership because the service department was not at their desk, but I did leave a message.

A strange thing happened though when I got in my car this morning to go to work. I left the battery unplugged to reset the ECU to see if that would help, and I figured it would not affect the error codes since they were categorized as permanent.

The car shifts fine now, however the paddle shifters and manual shifting functions do not work. I have reset the ECU before and that did not happen then so I am a little concerned. Maybe I need to go through a drive cycle to see if it helps.

I cannot help feeling my CVT is bound to stop working though, even if it temporarily shifts ok. I am hoping the check engine light will come on again and I can get it fixed so it will not turn into a potential future issue.

Quick update: after driving for half an hour through town, the shifts are starting to get rough again. The paddle shifters work too, and they probably did not work for the first startup after the ECU reset only.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have figured out that sometimes, the car will start up and the paddle shifters, along with any shifting mechanism, will not work. However, the CVT will work just fine.

Other times, I will start the car, and the shifting mechanism will work, however the CVT will be quite jerky.

There does not seem to be a way to know which mode the car will start in.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,097 Posts
Weird. In both manual and auto mode?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weird. In both manual and auto mode?
Yeah. So weird.

I went to the dealership today. These are the emails I sent Subaru of America afterwards:

Email 1:

“I took my car into the dealership today, and they are telling me some troubling things. I will just list them off for categorization’s sake.

1) They cannot replicate my problem, even though every single orange/check engine light was on, and I told them how to replicate it. They only drove it for 5 minutes/a short period of time during a busy time of day so I am not surprised they were not able to replicate it.

2) They are telling me my CVT, sealed, transmission is overfilled. How can it be overfilled if it is sealed from the Subaru factory?

3) They are also saying I needed to replace my CVT oil at 90,000 miles. This I know is not true, because I was told by Subaru of America, that because it is a sealed system, it should not be tampered with, and if it really needs to be opened, it should be after 150,000 miles at the very least.

4) I need to pay for all of these issues, starting with getting the CVT oil changed at $300. I do not think I should have to pay for something like this, when it is known a great number of people with my car have CVT issues. Enough that action was taken by Subaru of America, and I got a warning letter about it.

Since the CVT is a sealed system, and needs to be sealed to be properly functioning and not have contamination, I feel like the CVT needs to be replaced for the job to be done properly. The CVT is created and sealed in a non-contaminated area, and I feel it needs to be treated as such. I do not understand how I can have these problems driving in a non-severe environment, tourist vacation, perfect weather and roads town like Santa Barbara, CA.

I hope you can understand where I am coming from and the anxiety I have over this situation.”

Email 2:

“Hello,

I just got off the phone with the mechanic at Kirby Subaru.

He was telling me now the CVT oil needs to be changed at 60000 miles.

I am not really sure what is happening.

I was a little tired from the problems talking with the staff, so I told him to replace the CVT fluid, because I cannot be driving with unacceptable oil, and he is going to do so. He also said it was going to be between 300 and 350 dollars.

When I spoke with you on the phone, you said you could do something out of good will about this, since I got a CVT warning letter and I do not see how I could have done this.

I do not have the money to get any of this done, and I am still shocked at what is happening with my car, that has nothing to do with me.

Is Subaru of America going to compensate me for any of this, besides the inspection? Part of me says this is not going to fix the problem either. My car is really right around 100000 miles and its only 3 months past July 31st 1018, and it seems like a ridiculous situation keeping in mind the money I have already lost by not going into work.

Please help me.”

Ugh....I am not including the conversation where the service technician said, since I did not have it serviced at the dealership (oil changes, etc) since I bought it, I might have brought it to another mechanic who accidentally overfilled the CVT. How crazy is this...there are so many things wrong with that...

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
Sealed means it doesn't have a dipstick. Read your owners manual. Fluid replacement could be recommended as often as every 24k miles based on your usage.

You are really suggesting because you were told it's sealed that to change the transmission fluid you need to have the CVT pulled and fluid replaced in a clean room?

Dude. You need to take a step back and consider whether or not you're being a reasonable human being.

Your tech suggesting that without history and with the mileage that they can't know if someone else might have overfilled it is perfectly reasonable. You may know the facts, but they don't and it's not in their best interest to just take a customer's word for it...that will burn them often.

If, when all is said and done, you end up paying 300 dollar to have the CVT fluid replaced to find that doesn't resolve your issue and you then get a transmission replaced under warranty at your mileage, consider that 300 dollar investment WELL SPENT.

PS: as far as your oil goes, you should consider using a dexos1 gen2 certified oil that's designed for direct injection turbo engines as a means of combating low speed preignition that's been shown with oils that contain higher levels of calcium/sodium. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was not reformulated to meet this standard and as such could theoretically contribute to piston damage due to preignition. Pennzoil Platinum is certified and should be used in its place.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry if that last post came out bad. I am positive I miscommunicated, I am just a little frustrated. I thought that by sealed, it just meant that there is a plug in the CVT that was not meant to be tampered with. Not removing the transmission from the car.

I just read so many differing viewpoints on this subject online, and all I really have is online information to teach myself. It's worked for every fix I have needed to do to my car, so I trust it more than mechanics. You, Scooby, were among others here who helped me fix my last issue with my car that no mechanic, including dealership mechanics, had any idea what to do. It would have cost me thousands to diagnose and fix my p0018 computer malfunction issue, but with you guys I only had to pay for labor (after being stuck on it for 3 months). So I do trust the internet more than dealership mechanics since I have been burned more by mechanics than online research I have done myself. I also have discovered I like fixing cars.

I figured for them to think that a non-Subaru mechanic found where to service the CVT was a little far fetched, mostly by Youtube videos I have watched saying that it is obvious which oil is which once you are underneath your car, and it would take real incompetence to mix those up. So I thought that by them suggesting this happened was a little bit of an attack. I am not sure even a Jiffy Lube would be able to do that. Especially since I have been told by independent mechanics they will not work on my car specifically because it is a Subaru and they are a lot different than the usual car. So for a mechanic to find where the CVT plug was (mixing it up with the engine oil plug), and then accidentally emptying that. Which sort of goes against their claim that somebody overfilled my CVT, considering the Subaru dealership mechanic told me you need a special machine to add fluid or do anything. It was a lot of conflicting information that made me frustrated. I felt that the dealership was being a little dishonest.

Also, about Pennzoil, I always thought Ultra Platinum was recommended for Subarus with turbos, from what I have read with WRXs that have the same engines. At least that is what I read in a couple posts about the easiest ways to change your oil and what filters to use. I will try Platinum next.

Apologies for the miscommunication.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
I don't think their potential theory is too far fetched at all...there are lot of other shops who will perform this service on Subarus but given your symptoms a CVT fluid change does sound in order to at least rule it out as a potential issue...which will also satisfy their theory of being overfilled. If not resolved then clearly "overfilled" isn't the root cause and you're on your next step to identifying the root cause and next course of action (which is hopefully a warranty replacement).

Pennzoil ultra platinum is a great oil but a lot of new information has come out within the last year or so where direct injection turbo engines have shown an increased tendency to have preignition occur near the rings of the pistons that damage them (ringland failure..sound familiar?)

Subaru's have been prone to this for a long time and it was generally understood that ringland damage usually caused oil consumption...however now the evidence suggests that perhaps it's the oppose cause/effect relationship and it's oil consumption that actually causes the ringland damage as it contributes to preignition.

To try and combat this, the oil manufacturers reformulated to take out of their additive packages what was identified to be a contributor to that preignition by way of a new cert designation of Dexos1 Gen2 or API SN+. As usual this information takes a while to catch on in our communities. Pennzoil reformulated their Platinum series oils but not the Ultra Platinum so while the Ultra remains a great oil for vehicles that aren't prone to low speed preignition, it's not a great pick for us.

Here's some information: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/education/know-your-oil/what-you-need-to-know-about-api-sn-plus.html

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT 2.0
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info...as soon as I get off work I will read it. I am always looking for the best maintenance stuff for my car.

Long story short, the transmission got replaced. However, on the ride home I got the p0420 code. (Funny story though, this was the 2nd ride home from the dealership after the replaced transmission. They forgot to secure a hose to the turbo and it blew off on the 1st ride home, so I needed to get it towed back to the dealership. It was really scary, happened on a 4 lane freeway, busy traffic, heard a loud pop, and lost all power. Had to coast from the fast lane to the slow lane eventually stopping at the next offramp because my car could not make it up the hill. I was shaking.)

Now that I have a new code, the p0420, I am really confused since this catalytic converter code is not related to the replaced transmission. I called the dealership and they told me they could not help me.

So I guess I am at a loss. One of those things where it was not a problem before the dealership, but now that I got it back from the dealership with the new code...I am just exhausted, haha.

Wish I had better news, but the transmission is working! Yay! I also found a local import mechanic who works on Subarus.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts