Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer quoted me $146 a while back to take about my dash and change out the bulbs for the heating/ac controls. No thanks, I'll just take the bulbs and do it myself. There's another thread here that shows picture-by-picture how it's done. I'd just like to reiterate how easy it was. Just be careful not to lose any screws or break a clip on the faceplate of the HVAC unit. For me, it went nice and smooth. However, my door locks still aren't working properly. I took the window/lock panel out of the driver's door and everything looks fine. No corrosion. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

Ohh the carnage!

Out with the old..

If your lights are out, go ahead and buy the bulbs and have fun on a simple repair.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
14 Posts
This is something I also need to do since half of the bulbs in my car are dead. Do you know where I can order the new bulbs or what voltage they are so I can find replacements. I would also like to try and do a blue instrument panel but do not know if that is possible. Also I need to find out how to get behind the speedometer and RPM gauge to change the bulbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,695 Posts
Just get the bulbs from the dealer honestly. Yes it is SIX DOLLARS FOR A STUPID BULB but every one is gonna fit and work like it should.

I've wondered this forever. Is the rear defrost switch on the 98-02 supposed to be lit when the parking/headlights are on?? Mine doesn't work, and the dealer's diagram doesn't show a bulb behind it...

·
Registered
1999 Forester
14 Posts
Mine does not light up either so I do not think that there is actually a bulb back there. I know that the emergency light button lights up, but not the defroster. Do you know if there is supposed to be a light under the shifter to show what gear you are in for autos? Mine does not light up at all and makes it a guessing game for what gear I am in at night.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Forester L
24 Posts
Changing lightbulbs in the HVAC Panel

What a pain!! I removed the HVAC panel & put new bulbs in (except for the AC one). A month later the bulb under the mode selector went out again....and it's still out.

Yes, gildea 101...there is a bulb under the auto trans shift range indicator....but you have to remove the console (almost) to get to it.

I bought a used '98 a bit over a year ago and had to replace about 7 or 8 bulbs in the various panels(including the shift range indicator). I wish they'd put lights in the power window switches and power lock switches.......it would make night driving more pleasant....

ScottG

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Changing the bulb under the AT is doable without taking of the whole center console. Ofc this means you have to have some what small hands and have a bit luck. I know since I changed mine this way. It's like every other small bulb in the foz. turn the bulb socket one way and pull it out. change the bulb and then comes the trick of putting the socket with the bulb back in the hole under the gear selector. That is the hard part. Good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forester
2 Posts
Found the perfect replacement bulb!!!

74LL Sylvania...$4.99 at Advance Auto and Auto Zone!:Banane17:

The one at Radio Shack is about 1/5 the size...way too small!:crazy:

For reference: awesome bulb replacement search tool:

on sylvania's site, Lamp replacement Guide - Model Selection.:woohoo:

Happy motoring!:bacon:

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
how did you get the bulb? Mine didn't want to come out. I was able to remove the wiring and dangle the whole base underneath the HVAC, but I couldn't seem to dislodge the bulb like you've done.

edit:
I figured this all out. Apparently all you have to do it pull and twist a bit. I was able to find a forester at the junkyard the other day that had the hvac half assembled that I could play with.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
35 Posts
type 74 is the bulb for the hvac.

My question is, does anybody know where I can get those clear plastic rings? mine got burnt and after chipping the discolored parts off the light doesn't sign correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts