Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I just gone done replacing the head gaskets on a 1998 DOHC. First time doing it on this motor, so I am a little nervous.

Got everything bolted back up, started it, and all seemed well for about 15 seconds. Then a lot of smoke started to come out from around the passenger side valve cover. I also smelled a bit of moisture in the exhaust, but I don't know if that was just the moisture in the exhaust burning off or if the gasket didn't seat correctly.

I torqued the head down to spec and installed new valve cover gaskets all around.

I am going to get a code scanner and see what codes are stored and see what's up. Aside from that can anyone give me a few ideas of what to check tomorrow?

For what it's worth the engine seems to run smoothly - no stumbling or evidence that the timing is wrong.

I guess if I pull the codes and they're cylinder 2 and/or 4 misfire then I know what I'm dealing with.

I'm hoping I didn't over torque the cam shaft caps. That will be fun to repair.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

--Andy

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
more then likely it is oil/coolant that was dumped onto the exhaust during the time the heads were off. As long as you don't see any fresh trails from leaks it should burn off after a few minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more then likely it is oil/coolant that was dumped onto the exhaust during the time the heads were off. As long as you don't see any fresh trails from leaks it should burn off after a few minutes.
That's all it turned out to be. CEL was for the MAP sensor. Turns out it became unplugged during everything.

It runs like a champ now. Thanks!

--Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts