Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XTL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but couldn't find if this topic had been discussed previously. As a new 2010 owner, one of my main gripes is the operation of the moonroof. Can someone explain to me why, when closing the roof, it would automatically stop before closing all the way? Is this actually a feature?

Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to modify the roof's controls such that the roof has "one-touch close" operation?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
I searched, but couldn't find if this topic had been discussed previously. As a new 2010 owner, one of my main gripes is the operation of the moonroof. Can someone explain to me why, when closing the roof, it would automatically stop before closing all the way? Is this actually a feature?

Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to modify the roof's controls such that the roof has "one-touch close" operation?

Thanks.
It is a safety feature so that you don't close your fingers in the roof. Many new cars have it. As far as disabling it, I can't help you there.

·
Registered
2010 XTL
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a safety feature so that you don't close your fingers in the roof. Many new cars have it. As far as disabling it, I can't help you there.
Wow...I didn't realize that was the norm now.

·
Registered
2012 Toyota Prius CVT
185 Posts
Wow...I didn't realize that was the norm now.
It is becoming more normal, can't say I like it much either. I like the way Audi does it. They have a dial that sets where you want the roof open from all the way closed to all the way open and everywhere in between.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I believe its standard on all moonroof installations now, its more so kids don't close the moonroof accidentally on themselves, you'll also notice that it won't close if you push on the front of it while its closing.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
It is the norm. I have had 4 different cars from 4 different manufacturers in recent years and all had moonroofs. They all stopped a few inches from the end.

It will not be such a bother when you have owned teh car for a while. You will simply hold your hand up until it is closed. The cars are now training me. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
I also hate that feature.
Right after I bought my '10 Forester we had pollen from our oak tree start falling on the car. It gets really bad where the car almost looks yellow from it. One day I came home, after having the roof open, pressed the close button, didn't notice it close all the way, and got out. I then, like the previous few days sprayed the car down with water to remove the pollen.
When I got to the roof, I suddenly noticed the wind breaker was up! I had put about half a gallon of water mixed with pollen right though my partially opened moonroof!
It took me hours to clean it up properly.

I have a few ideas for solutions:
1: Determine what is making it stop half-way. There are two possibilities, a limit switch, or a timed circuit. If it is a limit switch, it should be easy to re-wire it or eliminate it. If it is somehow a certain amount of time that the circuit stays on, then that is harder to alter.

2: Build a separate circuit that detects you pressing the close button, and then after 'x' amount of time, it pressed the button a second time to finish closing the roof. This could be easily wired onto the existing switch, and easy to install.

The manual says that the moonroof is supposed to be able to detect objects stuck in the roof and automatically re-open, granted what that threshold is is another question. A garage door does the same thing, but it can still hurt.

I made a circuit for my previous car that added automatic opening to the moonroof using just a few components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts