Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester STI
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey hey everyone. I am late to the game starting my Journal, but here it is. I purchased this awesome '07 FSTI in September 2016. This marks my 6th Subaru overall and my first Forester. Previously, I had an '03 and '09 WRX, a '00 Impreza 2.5RS, a Tribeca, and a '00 JDM B4 RSK Legacy.

It's a fairly stock FSTI. The previous owner had a set of summer wheels, put a magnaflow muffler on, and threw on some random BOV. The only downside was it had a crap ton of kilometers on it. I bought it with 85,000Kms on the clock...:grin2:

I freaking love this car. It fits my life perfectly with the two dogs and active lifestyle. It's the best grocery getter for me.

Here it is when I bought it.

Here she is after her first wash :nerd:

This is one of my favorite photos of it so far during a snowy day this past winter. What's the point of a Subaru if you don't have some fun in the snow?

My future plans are to throw a few upgrades on, but nothing major. I need it reliable as this is no garage queen. I daily drive this beauty the way it was meant to be.

Future mods:
Upgraded turbo (something newer for reliability) - Possibly a FP 71HTA
Turboback exhaust
Up-pipe
Swift springs/KYB GR-2 Struts
Various Suspension bits (sway bar, endlinks, this that the other)

·
Registered
2007 Forester STI
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shortly after owning the car I noticed the upper radiator hose was swollen. I ordered some nice Mishimoto upper & lower hoses. It also needed new Alternator & A/C belts.

Might as well change the oil and the thermostat too while I'm at it. I grabbed some of the Mishimoto T-bolt clamps as well. I did some searching and saw good reviews for Penzoil Pure Plus Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic oil. Jeeze that's a mouthful.

New hoses installed

·
Registered
2007 Forester STI
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My radiator decided it didn't want to work anymore so I replaced the piece of junk with a shiny new Mishimoto Aluminum radiator.

The Problem Child. I snapped this photo after it happened. You can still see the steam coming out of the radiator along with the coolant ALL OVER THE ENGINE BAY!!!!

As with most packages I was a little worried when it showed up like this...

I thoroughly checked for any signed of damage and didn't see any. The radiator is packed inside some 1 inch foam in the box. You can see it under the radiator in these photos.

The old radiator came out very easily. From there I just needed to remove the fan shroud and swap it over to the Mishimoto. That's just a few screws on the plastic shroud. Time for the first problem with the radiator. The lower supports for the fan shroud were crooked so the screw holes at the top didn't line up. The first photo shows the far left lower support and how it was angled. This made the shroud sit high on the left side. The second photos shows how the screw holes didn't line up.

To fix it I just took some pliers and gently bent it down and straight (left and right speaking). Since it was crooked it made the fan sit high, which is why i bent it down first. After that the holes lined up just fine. That leads me to the second problem. On the factory radiator the shroud is held on to the radiator with screws. The Mishimoto uses threaded bolts. Fortunately, I was able to find some random spare bolts that fit laying around the shop I was working in. If you don't have any spare bolts you can take one off of the overflow tank and use it temporarily as it is the proper size.

After this point it was time to put the new radiator in. It was a tight fit and took some convincing to get the alignment pins in the holes... I ended up going underneath the car to set it in the correct position and sort of pull it down. Once it was in place I replaced all of the hoses and buttoned everything up. Like I said it's a tight fight. Here you can see the very very narrow clearance from the belt pulleys.

Here is the mostly finished product.

It's so cute that you thought we are done. No of course not. The next day I realized I was smelling more coolant I'd like. I did wash off the engine bay thoroughly after I installed the new radiator. I expected some lingering coolant smell though. I popped the hood to find this...

I guess the nipple for the upper coolant line coming from the expansion tank was smaller than on the factory radiator. The stock compression clamp wasn't tight enough, which allowed coolant to come out during increased pressure/temperatures.

I replaced it with one of those dorky screw-to-tighten hose clamps. That so far is it. Hope this was informative for anyone looking to do the same thing. I think I will invest in some slim fans in the near future. Just for peace of mind with the clearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts